ALL: Why Isn't Daytime Advertised in Primetime??

• Members

We get blasted during the day with constant promos for upcoming episodes of Primetime shows. I know CBS never advertises for Daytime outside of Daytime, but I'm not sure about the other networks because I don't watch them enough. Why aren't promos for daytime shows shown in primetime??

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess they don't want to use primetime space to advertise shows that are watched by another demographic. It has been done on a network though, I remember watching NBC once and seeing a promo for Days and Passions during primetime.

• Members

I don't get it either. I guess they think it's more likely that a Y&R fan will also watch Survivor, but a Survivor fan won't be inclined to watch Y&R.

I wish the networks would run the type of fun promos that SOAPnet runs, and run them in primetime hours, especially during serialized dramas like Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Brothers & Sisters, and whateverthehell airs on CBS and NBC these days.

We all have our opinions on the idiotic moves Soapnet has been making recently, but they do at least know how to run some good promos. From the cutesy stuff to the character profile ads to the family tree ads to the keep up-to-date ads that tell you the latest plot developments... if only they put 1/4th of that effort into network soap ads in primetime.

• Members

The networks do advertise the soaps in primetime; it just doesnt happen very often. Ive seen all 3 with promos in their primetime lineup. Ive even seen a CBS promo for all its soaps on BET once and MTV has aired ABC promos. Like I said it doesnt happen often at all

• Members

Yeah, but one promo, once a week, isn't going to get people tuned in to a soap.

...another reason the ratings suck, and another reason soaps are dying. Stupid networks.

They give primetime shows these long ass promos, and they show the same ones during EVERY SINGLE COMMERCIAL BREAK. Soaps are lucky to get one TEN SECOND promo in primetime per week!

• Members

I give that credit to Deborah Blackwell, who I feel has worked hard to appeal to true blue soap fans with fun, cute ads for the daytime shows.

I'd love to see those promos(or things similar to it) air in primetime. I think SOAPnet ads(with the exceptions of the ones that air for every month that show really old clips of the shows to advertise storylines for that month) are really cool. Speaking of the month-to-month ones, I like seeing the AMC one that starts with Barbara saying to Erica, "YOU. CONTEMPTABLE. BITCH." It's just so random and out-of-context with the rest of the promo, but you can't help but to love it. LOL.

But I digress...

In the mid-90's, the biggest reason I watched NBC's SISTERS and MALIBU SHORES was to see the DAYS promos aired during those shows.

• Members

I agree. Most of the people watching Primetime TV will probably never watch a soap opera. So I think it would be a huge waste of money and very little benefit to the stations. That being said however I do see a SMALL amount of Daytime ads during the night. Especially with NBC. I've definitely seen Days ads at nightime more than any other ad for any other soap.

• Members

A few years ago on Fridays I remember NBC always played a new DAYS promo during Dateline. I remember there was a promo for when Phillip told Chloe he wanted to be as close as two people can be together and later Chloe cried to Nancy that she had been "raped." "Will she tell the truth? Find out next week on Days of Our Lives. *nbc daytime* They still show some for DAYS-there was one for showing Patch acting silly not long ago. They never really did much for Passions though.

Considering how the ratings just keep falling airing ads in primetime probably won't significantly boost the ratings because people aren't just watching other shows, they are just not watching period. However the networks should still air the ads in prime time because for all we know those new viewers could help make up for some of the ones leaving. I mean there are weeks where GL will remain the same in HH but drop in 18-49s so perhaps people outside that demo came in for that week and helped stabilize the ratings.

• Members

I guess I don't understand. If the network owns the rights to air promos for their own shows, why would it be a problem to air promos at night? They are the ones who make the final decisions. They air endless promos for Survivor, Jericho, My Name is Earl, etc. etc. during daytime. They can't squeeze in promos for soaps during Jag (is that still on?) or Touched by Jennifer Love Hewitt?

Archived