My Grandmother Has Alzheimer's Disease

Roman

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thank you all so much.

Your words and wonderful thoughts have really helped. Decisions, decisions. Now, we all need to sit down as a family and talk about how we will take care of her. We spent alot of time with her after my grandfather passed away in 1991, and now she lives by herself. She can't anymore. On top of the fact that my mom, who is the world to me, kept things from me. She wants me to tell her everything about what's going on with me, but she keeps things like this from me because she wants to protect me.

I guess I'm still her "Little Papouse".

But, we will do what we will do. Pull together. And, it will show where people really stand. Nothing like family sickness to show you what your family members are all about, I suppose.

You all remember what I said. Just take some time and tell your people how much you love them. Family, friends. All of them. The time will come when they aren't there anymore, so don't miss the chance.

• Members

Do you think getting her a journal would help? My boss' mom has Alzheimer's too. But we got her a journal so that she can write stuff down. Or maybe even get a video camera and record some memories for prosperity.

I try not to take it personally when she acts out of character. She's the sweetest old woman you'd ever meet; never a bad word, but one the disease set in, she called the nurse a "bitch". I was shocked; it felt like the first time I'd ever heard the word. I didn't know she even knew the word since she's one of those religious types.

But you're right. We do need to tell people how much we love them. My mom was a wreck when my granddad died; she never got a chance to say goodbye.

Archived