Just Wondering

• Members

Being raped or abused doesn't make up whether you or strong or not. The point that I was trying to make, and did a poor job of doing, is that there is too much violence against women on almost every show. I remember being young and admiring an Anna Devane or Lucinda Walsh who are stong independent women. They were and still are such positive role models. Now with the way women are portrayed it is hard to have positive role models who are strong, independent and not been previously abused. It certainly doesn't make a person less strong, it can make you stronger. I just think that there is far too much of it and that we no longer have heroines like ANna Devane or Lucinda Walsh. Now we have Carly Corinthos, Sami Brady, and Amber Moore. I hope this makes sense. I know what I want to say, but am just having a really hard time getting my thoughts out, so please bear with me.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got ya, Tishy, and I agree. It goes along with what I was saying about how it seems women are no longer allowed to simply be strong without it either being portrayed in a negative light, either with them getting attacked physically or verbally...or doing the attacking themselves and coming off as controlling, shrewish, conniving, jealous, etc.

When I was a kid/teen watching RH, I remember admiring the character of Jill. I watched her and I was thinking, wow, she's smart, gorgeous, classy, successful, well-off..she's not nasty to people, she doesn't act out of spite or malice and, biggest surprise of all, she was the one afraid of committing herself to marriage! She wanted to hang onto her independence. She had her own style, her own beliefs, her own way of living her life. I wanted to be Jill when I grew up. ;) Later on, when I was an adult, I wanted to be Anna Devane and kick some butt and look like a million bucks. :P

Archived