Dirty Sexy Money: Discussion Thread

• Members

I thought the second episode was excellent. A lot of the weak points from the first episode (a lack of Brian and Leticia) were modified and Nola Lyons appearance in the first episode felt justified. Was I the only one who thought Nola came off differently in this episode compared to the last? Is it possible her scenes were holdovers from Cerrone? Or am I overanalyzing :P

The plot moved swiftly and there was some good plot development. No Jeremy/Lisa scenes was the biggest plus this week, but I'm not sold on the long term sustainability of the Nola character. While her and Jeremy certainly seem to meet the sexy quota, I don't see longterm story possibilities unless she were the woman scorn and paired with Simon Elder. Speaking of Simon, EW has an editorial on the Simon character saying his latest incarnation doesn't make much sense. The lying to Karen was odd and I'm kind of disappointed with this. I feel like Simon and Karen are the couple that could cause the most damage while Karen/Nick, much like Simon and his ex-wife, are soul mates who could never sustain a marriage.

I really loved the Brian/Nick scenes in prison. This is an interesting relationship. I thought Nick's explanation for chosing Brian was right on and he really is the perfect child to run the company. I cannot help but feel that Dutch is alive and is working with Simon to manipulate the lives of the Darlings.

Tripp continues to be a bit colder, more openly manipulative, and less playful than he was last season. I'm willing to take this Tripp in hopes it will improve the overall sense of the show, but I kind of miss the man who grinned ear to ear in the pilot when Nick negotiated salary with him. Tripp enjoys the pursuit. Tripp comes off more as a stereotypical soap patriarch this season rather than the more regal young spirited entrepeneur that he was last season. On the other hand, Tripp did come off as quite daft at times as if he was oblivious to the world around him.

Still missing Juliet, but glad to hear she appears to be island hopping, I assume with Kai. This storyline was originally wrapped up this way in the Josh Reims unaired episodes.

Ellen's funeral was a complete mess and I loved it. I also liked how they opened with the entertainment program, however initially I thought I taped the wrong program. I wonder if Jon Harmon Feldman will continue to frame the episodes (last week's party scenes and this week's news program). I kind of like this stylized element.

I hope Carmelita's back next week. Wasn't she in the promos for next week?

The show isn't as humorous as it was last season, but I feel the show is much tighter and has a focus that it was lacking in some of the early episodes last season.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See I've never truly felt that Karen/Nick were soul mates. I know Karen thinks they are...

I agree with your pluses on this episode (finally they at least mentioned what became of the sister and ther island hopping makes enough sense--how many unaired eps are there? lol)--but I didn't see Nola's character change as much as you did. But I do agree the Simon thing feels... strange to me--like a quick rewrite.

"Ellen's funeral was a complete mess and I loved it. I also liked how they opened with the entertainment program, however initially I thought I taped the wrong program. I wonder if Jon Harmon Feldman will continue to frame the episodes (last week's party scenes and this week's news program). I kind of like this stylized element. "

HAHA i thought I taped the wrong show too. Craig Wright wrote this episode solo--I assume the framing was his idea (I know John is the show runner but I'm glad Wright still seems to have a lot of control--otherwise I'd be more worried)

I agree it';s less humorous--and as I said less ambitious in telling differen tkinds of stories--but with those gone it has a much better focus which could--maybe though early signs aren't too optimistic--save it

• Members

I'm not sure I feel Nick and Karen are soul mates because the writing is unclear. We've changed direction so it's hard to say where this new show runner is taking things. I feel they should be each others great love. That would give people something to root for long term. I don't think they should get together this season or any time soon if this show manages to have a long run. At this point I'm not sure if I'm supposed to see Lisa and Nick as true love being slowly torn apart by the Darlings, who Nick will have to leave behind in order to win her back or what. I hope not because Lisa doesn't interest me at all.

• Members

I personally still see Nick and his wife as much more compatible. Karen does crazy things when drunk but they do seem, as he said this episode, to just be out of desperation when something freaks her out with the guy she's currently with cuz she knwos Nick is safe. Hardly feels like a great love to me...

• Members

But last season it was the opposite and she was with all those other guys because she couldn't have Nick. That's why I'm waiting to see where all of this goes. It's too soon in the new regime for me to really have an opinion. Nick and his wife probably are more compatible, but they are boring to me. I wonder if Nick and Nola are going to have a fling. I saw an interview with PK and he seemed to imply there was a new woman on the horizon for Nick.

• Administrator

I liked those scenes too and I really enjoy their relationship.

I think so too.

Either versions, I still love this character. He's so awesome and Donald Sutherland is so cool in this role.

The funeral was a riot! Patrick wrote the eulogy with Carmelita in mind. LOL Karen: "Does that sound like Ellen to you?" Jeremy: "He's delirious with grief." :lol: And then Brian fighting with the cop, "Why don't you bring it donut hole." :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I agree. Wed's episode was very good!

Nice twist having Nola/Simon and Letitia/Jeremy working together!

Loved the scene with Tripp interupts the party and then Jeremy/Patrick/Brian all follow him out. LOL

I don't like how Nick's treating Lisa either. Dude spends more time with the Darlings than with her.

• Members

So a lot of gossip thinks EW's Ausiello's blind item is about Dirty Sexy Money (other say Terminator or maybe Gossip Girl) what do people think

It's not unusual for a TV series to have at least one bad seed. You know, an actor whose ego is so ginormous it makes mine look like a half-eaten Skittle?

Well, less typical is a show in which all the stars have the disposition of Linda Blair pre-exorcism, but that's the situation over at a certain sophomore drama.

"Each actor is crazier than the next," whispers a staffer employed behind the scenes at the war-torn program. "And they all pretty much hate each other."

And they're finding it increasingly difficult to hide their mutual disdain from viewers. Per my snitch, the male lead "cannot stand" his love interest, "and it's obvious by their complete lack of chemistry."

The good news is, the nightmare may soon be over for all concerned. Although the show enjoys a rabid cult following and solid critical support, its ratings are such that a third season is looking very unlikely.

So, what's the series with the work environment that's so hostile it would make the Roseanne set at its worst seem like paradise? Let the speculation begin in the comments section!

• Members

I just watched the last two episodes back to back. THIS IS HOW YOU DO A SOAP OPERA!

The twist with Letitia/Jeremy and Nola/Simon was even better than I'd expected (I wish I hadn't been reading this thread pre-viewing), and I like how other dimensions to storylines are coming out. Honestly, they should be promoting the hell out of this, because the way the storylines are going, this could well give Dynasty a run for its money. I like how it's adding a contemporary edge to 80s soap, something many shows have tried (and failed) to do!

• Members

I felt the last episode was probably the strongest of the season. I'm glad they've beefed up Sheryl Lee's role. I thought the cancer twist was brilliant. It perfectly explained her character's desire to dump her son and rush off to Brazil and then return for him. I love Lee and Brian is my favorite Darling. Glenn Fitzgerald is brilliant.

The Nola/Jeremy/Leticia twist was JAW DROPPING :o ! Leticia's as bad as Tripp. This is going to get good. Finally, she is on the same level as her dastardly husband. I'm loving it! :P I hope this means we will see more of Leticia. To be honest, the trial has kept the show been kept stagnant by this boring plotline. On the otherhand, I thought weaving Nola into's Patrick's storyline was brilliant and I cannot wait to see her in the role of Patrick's chief of staff.

I hope Lisa calls Nick on his sh%^#&. Nick is an arrogant SOB. I do like Lisa's rise in the art world because, as they said in the DVDs, it will put Lisa on the same level as Nick in terms of power and money. I do miss their daughter. She was a little social climber. It's too bad she and Brian Jr. are related becasue I would have loved to see the show do a glimpse into the future where the George daughter was living it up as Mrs. Darling.

I didn't really care for the Nola/Simon reveal. It wasn't bad, but I just thought there was so much going on in the final moments of the episode that it seemed rather unnecessary. This episode did a good job solidifying Nola's role on the canvas, but I'm not completely interested in the Nola/Simon dynamic. Simon has been a frustrating character this season, but I hope that things improve and I have hope they will. The trial stuff has been boring and it is so boring.

The storylines are more present and a lot of stuff is making more sense. Has anyone seen the recent casting spoilers? There are wonderful.

Archived