AW: Daniel Collidge posted about AW being removed.....

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They could've at least sent AW off with a marathon or something. This is ridiculous and I'm not even a fan of the show. I wonder if the PGP soap channel will move from 1980 to the episodes currently shown on SOAPnet. Either way fans will get a dose of the show.

I'm still pissed that RH is airing two episodes a fricking week! Yeah it's still on the schedule, but it will take almost 2 1/2 years to show one year of the show. Imagine if AW was airing just one episode a week. It's ridiculous for a daytime soap.

Why not just give AW/RH the two late night timeslots? You're not going to do any better with the Dallas reruns reruns.

• Members

I hate it that Soapnet is moving away from the classic soap line up, but now that I see how bad the ratings AW was getting it's hard for me to argue with it. I mean a 0.0 in woman 18-49? I know I'll take flak for saying this, but AW was literally not bringing in any ratings. I'm really sad about Ryan's Hope, which I just started getting into, but if that was getting a similar rating, it's really hard for me to fault Frons. When a show isn't even bringing in a 0.1 what is he supposed to do?

• Members

That is the demographic though, not total viewers. And keep in mind SOAPnet's hit primetime lineup (Y&R, ABCD/DAYS) only gets 300,000 viewers. Another thing to keep in mind that the classic soaps aren't promoted anymore. RH NEVER has promos unless they are aired during PC or RH and the same for AW.

They could jump forward into the 90s with AW and re-promote it, or jump to Marg Helgenberger on RH and promote it, but they choose not to. They're just dumping them after (especially for RH) not showing any respect or trying anything to change things.

• Members

But would that really matter on a network where most of its advertising is for other Soapnet programming? Though I bet that is cut down with this new schedule. I bet when you watch the soaps at night you will see A LOT of advertising for OTH and The OC and when you watch those shows, you will see no or little advertising for AMC, Days, Y&R, GH, and OLTL. It will probably be all for products geared towards teeny boppers.

• Members

And I can fault Frons. He could have increased promotion for AW when he came to SN but he didn't. He was just chomping at the bit for any excuse to get rid of AW. He could have maybe raised the ratings a little with some promotion of AW but he didn't do that. He doesn't want people to see how much 1991 AW is superior to the GH, OLTL, and AMC of today. He's such a transparent moron.

• Members

So according to Daniel, P&G raised their licensing fee and Soapnet decided not to renew? Am I right is thinking that is probably a lie and Soapnet is trying to save face? Or did P&G try to get more money out of Soapnet because of The OC and the OTH deal? Either way I put the blame on Frons. Frons is either putting the blame all on P&G or he taunted P&G into asking for money and cut the cord. I think we can kiss goodbye ever seeing any other P&G soap on Soapnet, too.

• Members

And what do you expect when you have AW going up against AMC, Y&R, and Days? :rolleyes: That is why I really don't see OTH doing much better. How can it when teeny boppers on in school at the time? And college kids who watch the show probably have it on DVD or see it online. I can see the 5 and 6 showing doing well but no way is the 1pm showing going to do better that AW and if it does, I doubt it will do that much better.

• Members

One thing that annoys me about this is the multiple playing of the primetime shows. Is it really necessary to play Dallas (which I love, don't get me wrong) multiple times? It seems like RH or AW would do better than repeating the days episodes of the primetime shows. I guess it just comes down to $ in terms of licensing fees and such. It's too bad though. I'm really going to miss RH.

• Members

If *I* were running SoapNet (let the choir say "amen"), this is how I would program...

05:00am - Soap Opera Rewind (anthology series reairing individual eps of various series on the current same-day roster that apply to current stories)

06:00am - The Young & the Restless (previous day)

07:00am - All My Children (previous day)

08:00am - One Life to Live (previous day)

09:00am - General Hospital (previous day)

10:00am - Days of our Lives (previous day)

11:00am - Ryan's Hope (re-run)

12:00pm - Port Charles (re-run)

01:00pm - Dallas (re-run)

02:00pm - Dynasty (re-run)

03:00pm - Melrose Place (re-run)

04:00pm - The O.C. (re-run)

05:00pm - The "SOD" Report (new original news program in partnership with SOD)

05:30pm - Soapography

06:00pm - Soap Opera Rewind (anthology series reairing individual eps of various series on the current same-day roster that apply to current stories)

07:00pm - The Young & the Restless (same day)

08:00pm - All My Children (same day)

09:00pm - One Life to Live (same day)

10:00pm - General Hospital (same day)

11:00pm - Days of our Lives (same day)

12:00am - Another World (re-run)

01:00am - Peyton Place (re-run)

02:00am - The "SOD" Report (see above)

02:30am - Soapography

03:00am - Vintage Soap Theatre (anthology series of vintage, single eps of various series with a name host. Think "Daytime to Remember")

04:00am - Short-Lived Soap Showcase (rotation series that airs, one episode per week, of a different short-lived primetime soap opera)

• Members

Daniel Coleridge doesn't have a clue. He's just an industry asskisser and hardly knows or respects anything that is truly soap. He's worse than Jonathan Reiner. I expect anyday now for Coleridge to interview Frons and say, "Don't hate him and send him death threats because he cancelled ANOTHER WORLD on SOAPnet. I'm eating Jolly Ranchers he has in his office. He's such a nice guy." Coleridge is a younger, weaker Reiner. Period. May Michael Logan never retire.

Hell Ausiello does a better job of respecting soaps in his own columns than Coleridge ever did(the shoutouts to SB when SOAPnet got a new acquisition, saying SB's Pat Mulcahey was one of his favorite television writers ever).

Anyone concerned about the direction of SOAPnet had better worry...the primetime reruns are only getting 300,000 viewers a night. What if these new reality shows and drama series(like GH: NIGHTSTICK <_< ) perform better than Y&R at 11PM? Will Y&R on SOAPnet be pre-empted for NIGHTSTICK or LAGUNA BEACH redux? Will we see a day when there are no same-days on SOAPnet?!

One of the biggest reasons I enjoy SOAPnet is because it respects the fans of daytime TV...the TRUE BLUE soapfans who stick with their shows through everything.

Not everything should be about business and about ratings. A lot of these things should be based on principal and staying loyal to your audience.

What the hell is wrong with Frons? He didn't even want to acquire the baby he helped launch on NBC, SANTA BARBARA, a show that many people have been dying to see since it's cancellation January 1993. That 50 Million could have been put to good use for something else.

I mean, there are so many youth-friendly daytime shows that he could have acquired instead of OC and OTH...I mean, SPYDER GAMES? THE CITY? SWANS CROSSING? TRIBES? THE CITY would have been a perfect acquistion because of the number of GH connections and references there are, especially with Jane Elliot's Tracy joining the cast shortly before cancellation.

There's a special place in hell for Brian Frons and I hope he burns there.

Archived