AMC: Film style

• Members

I used to be a regular ABC Daytime viewer since 1988 (when I was just a little kid). But over the past few years, I just couldn't take it anymore, with my favorites being pushed aside to showcase empty newbies left and right. But the last straw for me with AMC was their new and jarring film style they experimented with over the summer. It just kept going and going, but now I'm curious...did they stick with it? Or are they back to the traditional three-camera style. I know their ratings started to really plummet with their Laguna Beach wannabe soft lens.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've seen public access that looks more like a film than this. I'm with Kenny, AMC has the absolute worst waredrobe, makeup, lighting, sets and now film style. Y&R looks fit for primetime and it's shot on video tape. Sets, lighting, etc. are what give you that film look, not a cheap hand held camera.

• Members

Cowudders said the first thing she was going to change about AMC (being that she had a bigger budget to work with than the budget at Port Charles) was going to be the lighting. She said that she didn't like how the show was lit in this "yellowish" (her word, IIRC) light. Of course, in my lay opinion, it's what gave the show its flavor -- its look. OLTL has that harsh white light and dark shadows, and GH has absolutely the worst lighting on all three ABCD soaps, which is ironic since it tapes in a state of the art production facility in Hollywood, rather than a tight ass Manhattan studio.

Then, of course, Carruthers comes along, and adopts that harsh, washed out white light for AMC as well.

Archived