Days: Rumor of 2 cast firings

• Members

I can certainly buy that they've dumped Shayna. She hasn't caught on with most people and Stephanie has not featured much in Hogan's spoilers. I would assume they'd recast the part, though.

I'm not inclined to believe the Jones rumour. However, if the show are that desperate to make room for ED, I can see it happening. She is going to cost them a fortune to lure back.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not going to believe it, simply because I don't want to believe it. I could use the argument that Renee Jones just signed a contract, but remember Matthew Ashford? He signed a contract and only a month later, he was released from the show. I would hope the show would know that Lexie is a great character. She's one of the few minority characters on the show. I don't think it's a good idea. I remember Hogan saying he loved Abe and Lexie. The DiMeras are returning. I'm not saying it CAN'T happen, but it just doesn't make sense. We'll see how it goes...

And on the Stephanie note, Shayna Rose is starting to grow on me as Stephanie. When she's not reciting the same old BS about Steve and Kayla getting together, I like her. They just need to give Stephanie her own life.

I've always felt Lexie's DiMera character was only a replacement for Kristen. When Eileen left, I knew they were going to make Lexie a true DiMera. Then, it happened. Fans loved it. Now, we're back to boring ass Lexie, who is whoring around town. I hate that. Turn this character into a powerful woman again. Renee Jones eats up evil material.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Nov 20 2006, 03:19 PM)

You know, if they do dump Renee Jones, this would be the perfect time to bring back Olivia Barber on Y&R with Jones as the recast! What do you guys think?

Only if they give her a storyline. I'll be watching wherever she goes. Hopefully, it's Y&R or ATWT.

• Members

I went back through SON and found that post that I referenced about the 10 cuts....

From Evan back in August...

http://boards.soapoperanetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=10085

Since that time, we've had the following cuts:

Matt (Jack)

Missy (Jen)

Christie (Carrie)

Austin (Austin)

Billy (Frankie)

soon to be Brody (Patrick)

soon to be Farah (Mimi)

probably Judi (Bonnie)

I interpret cut as getting rid of and not being replaced so that's why I'm not counting the Phillip/Shawn recasts.....

Also, I'm AA woman and I've watched Days off and on since I was 5. Yes, most AA women watch Y&R and I do occasionally. I agree that having AA characters like Dru is a draw for that soap but at least for me, I don't have to have AA characters on a soap to watch it. It's nice to have a little diversity, but if the AA characters are stuck in stock roles or just to support cast members, why bother?

Also, with all of big fan events geared toward country music/red state stuff, I'm not sure if Days really is trying to attract AA female demos, but that's JMHO.....

• Members

I have serious doubts. And regarding Stephanie, I thought SR was doing fine until they locked her into the "my mom and dad will be back together" crap recently. Hogan did say he was going to keep her connected only to her family and without a man for a while to establish her as a character first...

• Members

That was the previous writer who wrote off Olivia and Mamie and never used the Winters family. LML has been heavily using them and there was mention in SOD a few months back that they were considering bringing Olivia back now that the Winters are relevant again.

If the rumor that [s.W.S.N.B.N.] is at Y&R is true, then I'd say that gives Jones more of a shot. Having someone from DAYS on the writing staff will put Jones' name into the discussion if they decide the recast.

BTW, I doubt Tonya Lee Williams would return as she lives in Canada now. She works in the indie film world there.

• Members

And I'm perfectly fine with Stephanie being connected to her family. I'm with Hogan. The character needs to be established before being thrown in a relationship. However, can't we see her working or something? Do her scenes always have to consist of her desire to have her parents together?

• Members

Sure she was.

I love Renee Jones, but I'm kinda not surprised. Most people I've seen think Lexie's character has been ruined by the affairs and the DiMera-ism. Happy Stephanie is either gone or being recast. SR has a wonderful voice, but playing Stephanie was NOT her strong suit.

• Members

I still have a hard time believing Renee will leave but we'll see.

As for Stephanie, with the exception of the annoying "we can be a family" crap, I like the approach. I like how she is a romantic. Rose is pretty good but the dialogue and writing for her has really hurt her a bit. I did like her last few appearances though. However, I can see Days casting her off before Renee.

As for the Matt A. comments, I still think he was referring to 10 people leaving and that would include Cook and Brandt. I remember several other boards that had Matt's comment had a list and included them and Farah as well but we'll see. I will wait to get more on this before I worry.

Archived