The West Wing

sheilaforever

• Members

I just started watching "The West Wing" recently. I fell badly about that because I always hated the constant buzz and Emmy worshipping for it and now that I actually watch the show I have to realize everything was well-deserved.

I'm already in the middle of season 1. Bartlett had to face his first foreign policy crisis with Pakistan invading India's Kashmir region, the administration is nominating a candidate for the supreme court, Leo's addiction problems were all over the news (Had to laugh that Paris Gellar of "Gilmore Girls" fame, Lisa Weil, was the culprit...) and # 1.14 just dealt with the issue of dealth penalty.

Can't wait to see more of West Wing. It is so wonderfully written and superbly casted with gifted actors. My personal favorite is Allison Janney - C.J. is also one of my favorite characters.

Interestingly enough the little characters are a riot. Secretaries Donna and "Good Morning Mrs. Landingham" (Kathryn Joosten of Desperate Housewives...), the President's personal secretary, are extremely funny.

For those who watched the show pre-DVD: What were your favorite characters/actors, seasons or just particular storyline?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I also was against The West Wing with all the Emmy buzz and everything, especially Allison Janney winning the Supporting/Lead Actress category so many times. However, when I found out Stockard Channing played the First Lady, I was hooked. I bought the first season and now have all seven.

And I grew to LOVE CJ...she's one of my faves, I love her season four I believe storyline. I won't spoil to much of it for you with other storylines. Aaron Sorkin left at the end of four and I think they did a good job with five, but six was a little slooooooow, but got good at the end. TWW was one of the best series of the 2000s.

• Members

Interesting - so we're both belated fans, huh?

What I find interesting - now while watching - is that Stockard Channing won a Supporting Actress Emmy for season 1. In the 14 episodes I've seen so far she was seen TWICE and only ONCE had actually much dialogue. LOL! The Emmy academy must have been mesmerized by all the secrecy around Mrs. Bartlett...

Saturdays are WW-days. I'll watch at least two more shows tonight. Looking forward to that all week. :)

• Members

Shelia I don't think Stockard won an Emmy for Supporting Actress that year, however she did win...Allison Janney won Supporting for Season One and Two...then for season three AJ won for Lead Actress and Stockard won for supporting that year.

Also to mention Richard Schiff and John Spencer are both Emmy winners and I can't recall if Bradley Whitford ever won, even though he and Dule Hill were both nominated for their roles, as was Janelle Moloney and I do believe Rob Lowe. Everyone from the first few season were honored with nominations!!!!

Oh and I meant to add some of my favorite Stockard Channing scenes:

- Forget what season, I think four after the health scandal breaks Mrs. Bartlett lets CJ have it about her not flying up to New Hampshire with the President.

- During season three I believe during Abbey's birthday, her, Amy Gardner, Donna and CJ are getting drunk in the White House and Donna speaks very frank to the First Lady when she is not the First Lady, but reverts back to the First Lady. Hard to explain just have to see it!!

- Anytime she refers someone to call her Dr. Bartlett and not Mrs. Bartlett.

- Her scenes with Elmo and the Seasame Street gang!!

- During the fourth season I believe when Jed is running and it is the debate for President...she cuts his tie right before to get his adraline pumping...and says "Game on boyfriend." followed by Martin Sheen slapping her butt!! Great TV right there.

- My all time favorite CJ moment is at the farm in New Hampshire when she is about to leave the White House and the President is about to lecture her and she fires back, "Don't you lecture me Mr. President, don't you dare do it." Love that.

- And in the series finale, "It's been a pleasure Claudia Jean."

So many...I love this show!!! But I don't think I would have liked it on "live" TV, the DVDS are so much better.

• Members

Toby is a rough around the edges kind of character. You just have to learn either to love him or dislike him. I was never a huge Toby fan, I liked him for a majority...adored him in the series premiere episode...but he had a story about his father at Christmas time one year and that has to be my least favorite story for him ever!!

Mandy...eh...it's okay if you don't like her...........lol.......look at your other DVDs covers and you'll see what I mean.

Donna Tella is wonderful!! Rob Lowe makes me swoon!!

Archived