ALL: They Almost Became

• Members

27.jpg

Could you imagine Susan Seaforth Hayes as Stephanie Forrester? or how about John Aniston as Doug Williams? or Jane Eliot as the great Felicia Gallant?

Well it might have happened. Find out what stars auditioned for other roles or what roles were supposed to have been played by someone else.

• Mary Kay Adams - auditioned for the role of Jessie Matthews on The Guiding Light
  • Timothy Adams - auditioned for Sean Bridges on Young & the Restless
  • Nancy Addison - originally auditioned for the role of Faith on Ryan's Hope
  • Laura Allen - auditioned for the role of Michelle Bauer on The Guiding Light
  • Laura Allen - auditioned for the role of Dr. Melanie McGiver on One Life To Live
  • John Aniston - auditioned for the role of Doug Williams on Days of Our Lives
  • Rod Arrants - auditioned for the role of Frank "Buzz" Cooper on The Guiding Light
  • Rod Arrants - auditioned for a role on As The World Turns in 1992
  • Nancy Barrett - auditiioned for the role of Victoria Winters on Dark Shadows
  • Les Brandt - auditioned for the role of Tony Viscardi on Young & the Restless
  • Jennifer Bransford - originally auditioned for the role of Reese on General Hospital
  • Tamara Braun - originally audtioned for the role of Sarah Webber on General Hospital
  • Tracy Bregman - auditioned for the role of Sammy Jo on Dynasty
  • Jason Brooks - originally auditioned for the role of Austin Reed on Days of Our Lives
  • Lisa Brown - originally auditioned for the role of Morgan Richards on The Guiding Light
  • Dylan Bruce - tested for the role of Phillip Kiriakis on Days of Our Lives during contract negotiations between the series and Jay Kenneth Johnson in 2008
  • Chris Bruno - auditioned for Sean Bridges on Young & the Restless
  • Rebecca Budig - auditioned for the role of Kelsey Jefferson on All My Children before accepting her GL role
  • Steve Burton - originally auditioned for the role of A. J. Quartermain on General Hospital
  • Judith Chapman - auditioned for the role of Pamela Barnes Ewing on Dallas and was an early contender
  • Chrystal Chappell - was wanted for the role of Dr. Paige Miller on One Life To Live, but the role eventually went to Alexandra Neil
  • Eddie Cibrian - auditioned for the role of Nicholas Newman on Young & the Restless, but lost it due to age and they created Matt Clark for him
  • Christie Clark - auditioned for the role of Victoria Newman on Young & the Restless when Heather Tom chose to leave
  • Christie Clark - auditioned for the role of Summer on General Hospital
  • Juanin Clay - was supposed to be part of the original cast of L. A. Law as a judge but was cut at the last minute
  • Bradley Cole - originally auditioned for the role of Edmund Winslow on The Guiding Light
  • Terri Colombino - originally auditioned for the role of Georgia on As The World Turns
  • Bert Convy - was an early choice for the role of Barnabas Collins on Dark Shadows
  • Kevin Costner - auditioned for the role of Jake Kositcheck on Days of Our Lives
  • Brock Cuchna - auditioned for the role of River on One Life To Live
  • Robert Culp - was set to take over as J. R. Ewing on Dallas but Larry Hagman decided to return in the 3rd season
  • Bryan Dattilo - was set to play Brandon Walsh on Beverly Hills 90210 until his real life sister dropped out of the project
  • Doris Day - was considered as a replacement for Barbara Bel Geddes as Ellie Ewing on Dallas (Donna Reed got the role)
  • Eric Dearborn - auditioned for the role of Jamal Woods on Port Charles
  • Kassie Wesley DePaiva - auditioned for the role of Amanda Cory Fowler on Another World between her stints on The Guiding Light and One Life To Live
  • Leonardo DiCaprio - almost got the role of Hobie on Baywatch; a role eventually won by Brandon Call
  • Michael Dietz - originally auditioned for the role of Dr. Chris Ramsey on Port Charles
  • Josh Duhon - tested for the role of Phillip Kiriakis on Days of Our Lives during contract negotiations between the series and Jay Kenneth Johnson in 2008
  • Jane Elliot - part of Felicia Gallant on Another World was created with her in mind, but she was unable to take the role
  • Linda Evans - was considered for the role of Pamela Barnes Ewing and Sue Ellen Shepherd Ewing on Dallas
  • Sandra Ferguson - was considered for the role of Lily when Martha Byrne was fired from ATWT
  • Frances Fisher - was approached by ABC to take over the role of Siobahn Ryan when Ann Gillespie departed the role
  • Robert Foxworth - approached to play J. R. Ewing on Dallas
  • Mary Frann - considered early on to play Sue Ellen Shepherd Ewing on Dallas
  • Carrie Genzel - auditioned for the role of Victoria Newman on Young & the Restless
  • Jenna Gering - almost became the new Carly on General Hosptial but Jennifer Bransford won the role
  • Zen Gesner - auditioned for Sean Bridges on Young & the Restless
  • Karl Giralamo - tested 3 times for Luke Snyder on As The World Turns
  • Ricky Paull Goldin - auditioned for the role of Tony Viscardi on Young & the Restless
  • Karen Lynn Gorney - originally auditioned for the role of Erica Kane on All My Children
  • Karen Lynn Gorney - mentioned as a possible Nicole Travis recast on The Edge of Night at one time
  • Deidre Hall - auditioned for the role of Krystle Carrington on Dynasty
  • Susan Haskell - was considered for the role of Lily when Martha Byrne was fired from ATWT
  • Susan Seaforth Hayes - was the original choice for the role of Stephanie Forrester on Bold & the Beautiful
  • Anne Heche - a role was created specifically for her on As The World Turns while she was still in high school but she turned the job down as she did not want to leave home at that time
  • Marilu Henner - was considered as a replacement for Victoria Principal on Dallas during some tense contract talks one season
  • Jon Hensley - tested for Another World before being cast as Brody Price on One Life To Live
  • Jon Hensley - was in negotiations with All My Children to play Jake Martin in 1996 when As The World Turns lured him to come back
  • Catherine Hickland - auditioned for the role of Tina Roberts on One Life To Live
  • Catherine Hickland - was reported to be considered heavily for the role of Krystal Carey on All My Children
  • Steve Kanaly - originally auditioned for the role of Bobby Ewing on Dallas
  • Liz Keifer - originally auditioned for Eve Guthrie on The Guiding Light
  • Ken Kercheval - originally auditioned for the role of Ray Krebbs on Dallas
  • Brian Kerwin - auditioned for the role of Clint Buchanan on One Life To Live but the role went to Jerry ver Dorn
  • Stephanie Kramer - of the crime drama Hunter was a strong contender to play Lucy Ewing on Dallas
  • Katherine Kelly Lang - originally auditioned for the role of Caroline on Bold & the Beautiful
  • Eva LaRue - turned down the role of Rosanna Cabot on ATWT to return to All My Children; the role ultimately went to AMC castmate Cady McClain
  • Christian Jules LeBlanc - auditioned for the role of Tad Martin on All My Children
  • Jack Lemmon - auditioned for and was narrowly beaten for the starring role of Tom Corbett in Tom Corbett, Space Cadet by Frankie Thomas
  • Judy Lewis - mentioned as a possible Nicole Travis recast on The Edge of Night at one time
  • Rita Lloyd - was considered for several roles on As The World Turns including Mrs. Eldridge but was considered too young. She eventually came on as Edwina Walsh.
  • Lisa Lociero - almost was cast as Lois when the role was recast; the role went to Lesli Kay
  • Eva Longoria auditioned for the role of Hannah Scott on General Hospital.
  • Susan Lucci - originally auditioned for the role of Tara Martin on All My Children
  • Randolph Mantooth - auditioned for the role of Clint Buchanan on One Life To Live, but role went to Jerry Ver Dorn
  • Juliana Margulies - auditioned for the role of Dr. Maria Santos on All My Children
  • Pamela Sue Martin - was considered as a replacement for Victoria Principal on Dallas during some tense contract talks one season
  • Beverlee McKinsey - the roles of the sisters, Mary & Jessica, were created by Susan Harris with Beverlee McKinsey in mind to play one of the roles
  • Daniel McVicar - originally auditioned for the role of Ridge Forrester on Bold & the Beautiful
  • Johnny Mesner - auditioned for Sean Bridges on Young & the Restless
  • Nolan North - auditioned for the role of Steven Lars Webber on General Hospital
  • J. Eddie Peck - auditioned for the role of A. C. Mallet on Guiding Light
  • Christopher Pennock - originally auditioned for the role of Philip Todd on Dark Shadows
  • Jon Prescott - tested for the role of Phillip Kiriakis on Days of Our Lives during contract negotiations between the series and Jay Kenneth Johnson in 2008
  • Erin Hershey Presley - auditioned for the role of Victoria Newman on Young & the Restless
  • Cynthia Preston - was a strong contender for the part of Cassie Winslow on The Guiding Light when Laura Wright left the show
  • George Reinholt - tested for several roles in the mid-90's but most casting directors were reluctant to hire him
  • Lisa Richards - auditioned for the role of Victoria Winters on Dark Shadows
  • Julia Roberts - auditioned for the role of Linda Warner on All My Children
  • Jada Rowland - was considered for the role of Faith on Ryan's Hope
  • Paul Satterfield - auditioned for the role of Eliot Freeman on All My Children
  • Stephen Schnetzer - auditioned for the role of Eliot Freeman on All My Children
  • Camilla Scott - auditioned for the role of Frankie Frame on Another World
  • Kathryn Leigh Scott - auditioned for the role of Victoria Winters on Dark Shadows
  • Erika Slezak - auditioned for the role of Mary Kennicott on All My Children
  • Jaclyn Smith - auditioned for the role of Victoria Winters on Dark Shadows when Alexandra Moltke left
  • Paul Anthony Stewart - originally auditioned for the role of Cooper Alden on Loving
  • Sharon Stone - auditioned for General Hospital in the late 1970's
  • Susan Sullivan - either tested or was considered for the role of Victoria Lord on One Life To Live before Gillian Spencer won the role
  • Michael Swan - auditioned for the role of Eliot Freeman on All My Children
  • David Tom - originally auditioned for the role of Joey Buchanan before being cast as Paul on One Live To Live
  • Christine Tudor - auditioned and won the role of Karen Wolek on One Life To Live when Judith Light left, but the producers decided at the last minute to write the character out of the show
  • Paul Michael Valley - auditioned for the role of A. C. Mallet on Guiding Light
  • Aaron Van Wagner - originally auditioned for the role of Shawn D. Brady on Days of Our Lives
  • Marcy Walker - originally auditioned for the role of Amanda, Liza Colby's friend, on All My Children
  • Victor Webster - originally auditioned for the role of Brandon Walker on Days of Our Lives
  • Mackenzie Westmore - originally auditioned for the role of Gwen on Passions
  • Sharon Wyatt - was asked to audtion for the role of Gloria Abbott on Young and the Restless when Joan Van Ark departed

Agnes Nixon / Don Hastings - almost both worked togheter on The Brighter Day; Rachel/Ada (AW) and Erica/Mona (BD) were originally intended to be characters on the show

Edited by Gilbert

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

These are two more I remember reading/hearing about:

Lisa Locicero auditioned for the role of Ava on DAYS before it went to Tamara Braun.

Jason Gerhardt was up for a role on DAYS (I do believe it was Daniel before they cast Shawn Christian; He talked about it on one of those radio shows right after he was released from GH; he didn't mention a character name exactly but it sound like what became Daniel.)

• Members

Really interesting topic!

I have a few more to add...

Kimberly Simms (ex-Mindy, GL) tested for Santa Barabara's recast Kelly Capwell (replacing Robin Wright's not-so-successful-successor, Kimberly MacArthur). The role went to Carrington Garland.

Ally Walker (Profiler) was set to replace Marcy Walker as Eden on SB when Marcy's contract negotiation broke down. The stalemate was quickly resolved, however, and the role of Andrea Bedford was created for Ally. (Trivia side note: A Martinez - AKA Cruz of Eden-and-Cruz supercouple fame - would years later play Ally's love interest on Profiler... and Ally's Profiler replacement, Jamie Luner, replaced Marcy in the role of Liza Colby on AMC.)

Brody Hutzler (GL, Days) audtioned to replace Nathan Fillion as Joey on OLTL. The role went to Don Jeffcoat.

Sarah Buxton (Sunset Beach) was being heavily lobbied by then-OLTL Executive Producer Gary Tomlin to revive the role of Tina Lord Roberts. But the network (and arguably viewers) couldn't see Buxton in the role and blocked the idea.

Susan Scannel (ex-Gabrielle Dubujak, RH; ex-Nicole Simpson, Dynasty) auditioned for the role of OLTL's Tina during a tense contract re-negotiation with Andrea Evans.

Cali Timmins (ex-Maggie Shelby, RH; ex-Paulina Cory, AW) auditioned for OLTL's Tina twice... losing out to eventual Tinas, Karen Witter and Krista Tesreau, respectively. (Tesreau was handed the role without an audition, by then OLTL-EP Susan Bedsow Horgan, whom Tesreau had worked with during her first run as Mindy on GL.) ETA: "Losing out" was at least partially a poor choice of words: Timmins technically didn't lose out to Witter, she just won the role of AW's Paulina before OLTL was ready to actually bring Tina back on-screen... though OLTL evidently didn't jump at offering her the role at that time.

It was down to the wire between Nancy Sorel (ex-Monique, Generations) and Lisa Peluso to replace (the late) Roya Megnot as Ava Rescott on Loving. After a number of screen tests, the role was given to Peluso.

Kristina Wagner, before playing GH's Felicia, tested for the role of Hillary Wilson (Tad's former wife / Damon's eventual mom) on AMC. The role went to Carmen Thomas.

Carmen Thomas tested for the role of Pru Shepherd (Rick Hyde's first love interest, before Ryan) on RH. The role went to Tracy Lin, who lasted less than a year before being written out. Thomas' RH audition led her straight to AMC.

In the mid-1980's, Noelle Beck (ex-Trisha, Loving; currently Lily, ATWT) and Yasmine Bleeth (ex-Ryan, RH) each tested for the other's roles at the time they were being introduced.

Alice Barret (ex-Frankie, AW) first tested for the role of Siobhann on RH. The role went to Barbara Blackburn.

Patricia Mauceri (ex-Carlotta, OLTL) auditioned for AMC's Erica Kane.

Robin Strasser (Dorian, OLTL) was in negotiations with GL to replace (the late) Beverlee McKinsey as Alexandra Spaulding. However, Strasser promptly informed her former colleagues at OLTL of this development and offered her availability. Dorian was then being played by Elaine Princi, who was just finishing her third year as Dorian - and in the middle of a contract renewal negotiation. OLTL abruptly withdrew and Princi's contract was not renewed. Strasser was offered her former role back, leaving GL in the dust. GL saw several actresses, but eventually chose Marj Dusay.

Edited by YurSoakinginit

• Members

I can't see Eva LaRue as Rosanna. While she can play that cold bitchiness it's still odd to imagine her in that role. Cady was a better choice.

Christie Clark as Summer on GH? What a wretched role that was.

For a long time I've been fascinated by Frances Fisher playing a tough redheaded cop on EON and then Marg Helgenberger being a tough redheaded cop on RH. I guess they were tied together. They cast a Frances type. Lucky break for Marj, who has since gone on to a big career.

Sandra Ferguson as Lily seems like an odd fit, although she did play a teen princess on AW. Susan Haskell seems like a little better choice.

I don't think Jane Elliott would have been right for Felicia Gallant, and since she has left most of her soaps after a few years they were probably better off with Linda Dano, as Felicia and her friends basically helped carry the show through a lot of lean periods.

Did Carrie Genzel audition for Victoria after Heather Tom left in 2003 or after Heather Tom left in 1997? For some reason I thought it was 97.

Poor Nolan North. I would love to see him on a soap again, he's so cute and so funny. Scott Reeves is dull and leathery. I guess it pays to be pals with Steve Burton.

Hiring Tesreau without an audition was a mistake in this case.

Timmins would have been a much better Tina.

• Members

Megan Rutherford auditioned to play Vicky/Marley when Jensen Buchanan left AW in 1994.

Hillary Bailey Smith auditioned to play Becky Lee Abbott on OLTL in 1979.

Phillip Brown was supposed to play Ben Warren on GL, but left very early on, and was replaced by Hunt Block.

• Members

It was both times, the first time losing out to the actress that ended up on Port Charles.

I completely agree, Carl. I actually am curious to this day how it would have played out had Timmins been Tina, instead of Tesreau. Timmins always had that slinky, sultry, trouble-plagued factor that Tesreau just woefully lacked... not to mention the "girl from the wrong side of the tracks" vibe. Tesreau was purely "spoiled rich girl," - and Tina was supposed to be, at that point, both.

There are a few more I recall since my previous post:

Joanna Going (ex-Lisa, AW; Dark Shadows the primetime series) tested to replace Ava Haddad as OLTL's Cassie. Holly Gagnier (ex-Ivy, Days) got the part.

Melissa Claire Egan (Annie, AMC) in her days as a child actress, audtioned to replace Lacey Chabert (Party of Five; Mean Girls) as Bianca. The show chose Gina Gallagher.

Elizabeth Hendrickson (Chloe, Y&R; ex-Maggie, AMC) tested for GL's Michelle when Joie Lenz (One Tree Hill) exited. (Lenz replaced Rebecca Budig two years earlier). Hendrickson lost out to Nancy St. Alban.