Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

My God Kat was a brat then. I truly don't understand why she gave poor Gilly so much grief when Gilly wasn't even a threat to her at all. I do love the scene with Kat/Bridget though knowing that they'd go on to be best friends. 

Bridget was a bitch and freaking hoot this episode. When Ben accidentally tossed that water and hit her in the face, I burst into laughter. But I don't blame her for one second for becoming enthralled by Dylan. Morgan Englund was (and still is) sexy as [!@#$%^&*]. I would've went outside and watched his sexy ass at the pool too. 

Please register in order to view this content

So funny how these 2 would end up together down the line. But back to Morgan Englund, why did he quit acting?! God I miss looking at his gorgeous face on TV!

Watching all these 1991 episodes depresses me about how much Ben would've contributed to the last era of the show. IMO, him, Michelle, and Bill should've been the three leads driving the show till its end. 

I can't get enough of Holly, Gilly, and Mindy, who are all some of my favorite characters from this era. 

I loved when Kat joined Bridget as her partner in crime. I started watching GL full time in 1991. I loved all the great characters and exciting stories from that year. I'm glad i caught GL during it last golden age. During this time GL was firing on all Cylinder's. After 1993 we would see the slow ruination of GL.

• Members

1991 was in large part a huge transition year for the show, but also quite seamless. Goes to show what having a great set of writers and a talented ensemble cast can do.

I'm interested in seeing if there are any changes between Robert Calhoun leaving as EP and JFP coming on. She likely got a lot of credit for things he/Curlee/Demorest had already set in motion. 

P&G soaps always got derided for being too "old-fashion," but early 90's GL has aged a hell of a lot better than what the ABC soaps and DAYS were producing at the time. GL was such a contemporary soap at that time and that never really seemed to get noticed. 

• Members

I loved Kat/Bridget's friendship too. '91 does seem like a good year for the show. How Curlee masterfully introduced the next generation of teens (Kat, Bridget, Julie, Hart...) without making it overkill is to be admired. On any soap nowadays, we'd be tired of them after one scene. I love how much of a mess Bridget was from the start. I did find it harsh how she talked to Michelle/Ben though. I am eager to see once again how she'd become a surrogate sister to Michelle over time. 

Well I'll take old-fashioned P&G soaps over what is left. I feel like all the P&G soaps (ATWT/GL/AW) were firing on all cylinders at this time. But GL was shining the brightest. God I miss Nancy Curlee on TV. To me, she was the last great head writer that daytime produced. 

• Members

Bridget/julie/kat. Good years with those three.

I would like to also say (changing subject) that Guiding light had a great unlucky in love character back in the 70s that the dobsons created yet didn't make pathetic..Katie. that is until Marland took over and made her pathetic..only somewhat reversed by Pam Long.