The Politics Thread

• Members

I know what you mean, but it was about various groups in Florida (not just black voters), and had several different quotes (not Nina Turner), which is why I posted it. It wasn't some attempt on my part to say black voters don't care about supporting HIllary Clinton.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Hutchinson is on twitter and actually is working in Florida and said he senses a lot of enthusiasm which was his point. That's not to say they don't have to work harder to engage voters, but some of this I believe to be the usual noise before an election. They said the same thing during the primaries and southern minorities(latinos and AA) came out in droves for Clinton. Where was the Bernie enthusiasm(which so many compared to Trump) there? He had large rallies etc and still got trounced by Clinton in the south.

• Members

I'm sure there is a lot of enthusiasm. The reason I posted the article is because I know there's been discussion about how much there is and as I generally trust Politico even if I don't agree with them (that and TPM are the only political sites I read) I thought it was an interesting read, because I've felt a lot of apathy out there with people I know (not a lot who talk about politics, I'll admit), and I wondered if it's a problem for the campaign, even among voters who feel Trump is targeting them. I wasn't trying to say all black voters aren't enthusiastic and I'm sorry if I did. 

• Members

No need to apologize and sorry I got defensive. Florida I think has been an issue with the Clinton campaign as I think they did defer spending on advertising to help them in the Latino community. I'm not convinced of the apathy in the AA community as much because of the turnout she got in the primary in Florida by AA in particular. I think there are valid points to be made about telling us what you'll do for us vs. Obama saying preserve my legacy by voting for her. That's justifiably not a good enough reason. I do think preventing fascism and normalization of racism and bigotry though actually should be. But I do think in lieu of recent events in terms of law enforcement in particular, they need a stronger case to present to minorities other than saying criminal justice and police training reform.

• Members

I just think there's a way to be balanced and pragmatic about the tone and tenor of the coverage  - as I like to think I am - without going to the most negative take or assuming what the worst of the population or the media is going to say.

The fact is Hillary destroyed Trump the other night and almost everyone is talking about it. It is established fact. It is a triumph and it deserves to be recognized and celebrated, which is what the mainstream media is actually doing. It's okay to feel that and acknowledge it, not immediately try to look for a way to devalue it or say it's not going to matter. It does matter, it is mattering to people. Sweeping past it and looking for the downside is neither productive nor IMO fair to the reality of the immediate public conversation. Not everything is bad. I understand being guarded, but there's a point when guarded becomes something counter-productive to our own state of mind.

And y'all should watch that debate if you haven't. It was a thing of beauty and everyone should see it.

Meanwhile, back at the Berghof:

Edited by Vee

• Members

I said that I thought the debate mattered in that Hillary didn't hurt herself. That's a big deal, because a lot of people were waiting for her to fall into their Al Gore trap. I said I didn't think it mattered otherwise because I don't think it does. Trump says and does insane things and acts like an !@#$%^&*] and it rarely matters. The election will be close and hopefully she'll win.

I think she and her team have done a good job with post-debate spin, and I don't blame them for things like blowhard Howard Dean going around talking about Trump and coke and feeding into the "both sides do it" narrative and having Hillary's concern troll Axelrod pop up to further push that narrative and say that Dean = Trump. That type of stuff distracts and hurts her and is another reason why Democrats seem to have no real idea about messaging. 

Hopefully the polls will show an uptick for her, and the next debate won't be pushed as a Trump comeback. In terms of being positive about the debate, I can't claim I am when I don't think it will change any of the core issues in the race. She did well and avoided damage, which was the best case scenario. 

• Members

But it does matter. That is the whole point - the polls are moving for her because of this and everyone in the media got knocked back and came out talking about how incredible she was and how terrible he was. She's up +5 in Michigan in the last day, there a bunch of other polls I can cite. But it's not just about polling, it is perception. And everything has tilted back to her. She didn't just avoid damage, she seriously helped herself. And if you haven't watched the debate, you owe it to your peace of mind.

Meanwhile, Donald's post-debate one-man spin show is going great. The mute expressions are priceless.

• Members

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/28/politics/fbi-james-comey-election-cyberattacks/index.html

Washington (CNN) - The FBI has discovered attempted hacks of voter registration sites in more than a dozen states according to two law enforcement officials. US investigators believe that Russia is behind those attempted hacks the officials said. 

• Members

I think it did matter. It mattered in effect because I think whenever she's in the public eye and people see her more and more, it get better for her. I don't think trump will win the next debate why? Because it's a town hall which she's much better in that than a standard debate format and an area he's weak in.  I think the key is her campaign keeps her in focus and lets that campaign control the narrative. Part of the reason Trump is still here is because he's controlled it good vs bad.  Right now her campaign is doing the right thing by getting people out after the debate to optimize the momentum. I watched part of a rally today with she and Bernie on MCNBC and yes they both got cheers but the biggest cheer was when Bernie mentioned her debate performance. So it resonated with people. Michelle Obama was in Philly and eviscerated Trump on the birther issue and his comments about woman. Kaine was in Virginia with Senator Warner. Biden was in Ohio yesterday. Michelle and the POTUS are supposed to be doing Florida this weekend. Now the funeral may change the POTUS's plans I am not sure.

• Members

Howard Dean was far from the only one commenting on whether Trump was on a controlled substance. Lots of people were. Anyone who watched the debate and was on social media would've seen the flood of tweets about it.  I was watching the NBC NY broadcast and they announced the results of some up the moment poll done by survey monkey and it was about the same as CNN's results proclaiming that Clinton outperformed Trump by a wide margin. Of course, debate results are not election results and Trump has vowed to come back at Hillary hard but many are already proposing that it will be difficult for Trump to do this in a Town Hall style debate with people asking questions.

I'm not going to speculate about what will happen in the next debate but what I can see is that with HRC mostly being pleased with her debate performance, I see more confidence and ease in HRC which perhaps may carry over into the rallies and the Town Hall debate.

And Ms. Machado (who Trump called Miss Piggy) is making appearances all over Spanish language TV. They actually showed footage from the 90s of her at a gym exercising and trying to jump rope with a herd of media filming her while Trump leers at her in the background. I swear on one news show on Univision it must've been playing on a loop.  According to her account, Trump made it seem as though he wanted to meet with her personally and then ambushed with the media, cameras rolling and photogs clicking. She said she was utterly humiliated.  

I also read an article where a few Republican women and independents expressed disgust with how Trump was talked over and interrupted HRC during the debate. One woman used the word bullying.

The narrative once was that HRC had a 'Woman Problem'. Now that this is no longer the case, now it's HRC has a 'Millenial Problem'.