The Doctors

• Members

I believe Hugh McPhillips, who was The Doctors' director/associate producer for several years, was an extra in an episode we saw last week (playing the patient in the clinic with a rash).

Hugh McPhillips (in 1972):

a29c0567-97d9-4615-b4a0-c61d2c5271cc_zps

The patient in the clinic.

ba8231df-e4f0-4432-be7c-2d075d90e7a5_zps

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Agreed! I'm still months behind but peaked ahead to 1969. The Ed/Anna story has been surprisingly at the forefront. I wonder if any other soaps briefly had frontburner black characters like the Doctors.

Does anyone happen to have Ed and Anna's first airdates?

Edited by soapfave06

• Members

Paul, maybe I just inferred, but I thought Maggie miscarried Alec's child in the February 1964 car accident that took Alec's life. I may be wrong about that.

All the information from Barbara Morgenroth has been very interesting. Years ago, Hilary Bailey Smith said the plague was used as a contract negotiation ploy, but this seems more deliberate on the network's end. Very interesting.

• Members

Just to put what we are seeing in relation to 1967/8/9/

This was the time that NBC's 90 min soap block began making waves in the ratings with Days @2,TD @ 2.30 and AW @3pm.

ABC had Newlywed Game @ 2 but 2.30 was an issue,Dream Girl of 67 lasted throughout that year and then something called The Baby Game was tried for 68 until July when Dating Game took over.3pm was GH.

CBS introduced LIAMST at 2.00 in Sept 67 as the long running Password was dropped.Then Sept 68 the longrunning Art Linkletter was dropped for new 30 min GL, at the same time To Tell the Truth was dropped at 3 in favor of Secret Storm.

This really the time that soaps took over as CBS went for an all soap afternoon lineup.

NBC's strength was diminished by these changes.Also losing Let's Make A Deal as the lead in for the soaps affected them as replacement shows weren't as strong.