ALL: Who do you think would be a good writer for the remaining soaps?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

Tyler Perry's Days if Our Lives perhaps?

Please register in order to view this content

Lol but I agree. 

Yes. It's time to stop the musical chairs with the same recycled writers. 

Give me Y&R Please. I'd bring back the classic cues, dim the lighting, give Sheila and Lauren an actual storyline and get rid of stagnant characters. 

GH would see a major cast purge and slim.

Edited by Planet Soap

• Members

Not to defend TP’s writing cause it certainly is its own level of cringe, but I never heard of Madea brainwashing someone with a toaster and hand mixer. Wish I could say the same of RC’s Days

• Members
Posted (edited)

Two things I'd love to do with Y&R:

1. Bring the show back to Bill Bell's original concept: stories about YOUNG people and the challenges they face today.  It's shameful how Y&R (and every other soap) has neglected to spotlight the political and societal upheavals that have occurred in this country over the past decade or so, particularly in regards to how they affect our youth.

2. Introduce a new family from the "wrong side of the tracks."  A character or characters struggling to move beyond their meager surroundings has long been fertile ground for storytelling; and in our present day, with economic disparity foremost on many people's minds, I feel such a unit would be very relevant to Y&R's audience.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I mean, Tyler Perry truly only writes quality material really. Imagine seeing a scene with astounding dialogue like this between Will and Marlena?

• Members
Posted (edited)

Please register in order to view this content

Tyler Perry's number one problem as a writer - aside from the misogyny, the colorism and the blatant self-hatred as a closeted gay man - is that he has no idea at all how to structure stories or even scenes with beginnings, middles and ends.  His writing is what MST3k's Michael J. Nelson would call a Möbius strip, one that starts from nowhere and leads exactly to the same place.

Edited by Khan

• Members

It's funny that you said this because I was just talking about this. Soaps period use to have families and characters represented from different social classes. All of the soaps that are on have deviated away from that for a very long time now. This is part of the problem on each soap. What made the soaps interesting was the fact that you had many characters who represented you as it pertains to social class. You had your wealthy/rich, your middle class, working class, and the poor/struggling family or characters. You saw the come-up of characters with romance, love, finances, and so forth and it was all told in great story that you, the audience, were connected and part of the journey. This is what is missing from all soaps. 

I stand by my thoughts that soaps can return to the way they were and the glory of it. But soap writers old and new are going to have to be willing to take the bullet and go for it. Really studying writing and storylines back then and how they crafted characters and storylines as well. I need the writers to do their homework for real and really watch, read, analyze, and dissect how writers then used to work and how they kept the audience engaged. It can happen again, but they must be willing to do and put in the work.

I also feel that networks need to recommit to their soaps no matter what platform they are in. That's also the hard part for those networks. Stop interfering, stop slashing the budget, and get back out there and garner partnerships and sponsorships like they used to. I just feel like that there is a way to return the soaps that are on to its glory! I also can't wait for The Gates and hope they restore our love in soaps like when they were really good!

• Members

A new family? So everyone can criticize them to diminishment like the Rosales? Then talk about how there's no focus on the elder families? Not saying I don't agree! I've written up a treatment of my own family (the Goodnights) to integrate into the the show. I just think that the show as a whole needs a huge kick in the ass!

• Members

I agree - and I think a grown-up, rich and fine-as-hell Brooks Prentiss is JUST the man to give it that kick, too!