• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There is a genuine pushback among younger people about sex scenes in movies and television. A viral tweet went around from one of them saying they wanted the Hays Code to return. I don't know if the treatment of Chase and Brook Lynn is meant to appeal to that audience. Probably not. 

I get the feeling the show mostly gave them a big wedding because there wasn't anyone else to do that with at present and this was initially planned as a moment of change/a new era for the show, until the caving and backpedaling began.

• Members

Is GH even trying to go for a younger viewer?  Soap operas are the least progressive medium and I don't think they were trying to follow a trend.

I agree that the big wedding was just because there was literally no one else to give it to.  Plus, add Lois in and you had to give her something to do I suppose.

Right?  I don't even want a Brook Lynn/Chase love scene, but that was weird.  I am sure it happens in real life being just so exhausted from a wedding and all, but I have never seen it happen on a soap.

• Members

The lack of progressiveness would actually work in this case...

I think the show makes a token effort, mostly through Joss and her burgeoning male harem. The viewers they might have gotten through Sprina they seemed to actively resent, for sadly obvious reasons.

• Members

“Why don’t you try to be as smart as you think you are!” 
This is probably my favorite thing I’ve ever heard someone say to Carly. I do hope we continue getting writing like this even without PM.

• Members

There was heat before but when Katherine took that first tumble off the parapet their kind of illicit energy died too. By the time he was pushing Laura out of the way of trains it was just clearly a story about how long do we have to wait for Luke and Laura to reunite?

Kristina being this shocked is silly. She knows who this guy is. They cold have gotten the same result by going another way to get there. I really like Mansi on the show though.

I loved that scene, and Anna being the one dropping that bomb on her was perfect!

• Members
Posted (edited)

Genie Francis was the heart of the show from the late 70s to early 80s, and then again in the early to mid 90s. Her absences, poor writing, and Tony Geary's changed attitude, being totally over Luke and Laura, changed all that starting around 1997. Perhaps the show would have been better off in the long run if they had killed off Laura for real at the end of 1996. It would have avoided 20+ years of poor stories and poor treatment of her.

It's amazing how poorly the writers handled the dissolution of Luke and Laura; sure they were one of the most popular couples of all time, but all the more reason for the writers to step up and give them a solid, heartfelt break-up. That never happened. Laura's character was ruined as a result.

Isn't Laura being mayor a little bit of a homage to the history of the show? Luke was mayor of Port Charles back in 1983; now it's Laura's turn. 

Edited by Jdee43

• Members

Personally I am quite perplexed at the resistance to Kristina being overly defensive about her father, of her being deeply in denial & of her steadfast belief in what she sees as Sonny's code, different from other people's codes, but his own & where he would not kill or even harm an innocent, or anyone who was not a direct threat to either him or his family or his business interests. Clearly delusional but the kind of delusion real life people live with if they are the wives, mothers & daughters of mobsters. 

However my real interest in what you've said is, okay, how else could they have gotten to this dramatic point in this story? Thanks!

I believe we've got a theme going on here. Drew is better Scruffy than perfectionally (not a word!) plastic Ken doll. Now, bruised & bloodied Dex is hot!

• Members

I thought Laura/Stefan were a pretty good pairing too.  GF/SN had decent chemistry.  I obviously knew it was an obstacle for L/L and they would reunite eventually, but TG/GF already seemed to be tiring of one another by then.

I am going to assume Mansi doesn't know a ton about Kristina's history.  Kristina was almost blown up in a car bomb meant for Johnny a decade ago.  LA's Kristina pretended to be with Johnny just to get a reaction out of him. She's pretty wise to Sonny's volatility.  We can assume Kristina thought Sonny had changed, but I feel like Mansi played as if it was the first time she's ever seen violence out of Sonny.  I don't think Mansi did a bad job.  I just don't think she understands that Kristina's childhood and young adult life has been littered with instances of Sonny's mob related violence.

• Members

I hate openings with actor names on soaps. This was a fun project for the person who did it, but no. I would be happy with an ambulance at night. This would combine the classic ambulance intro and the city at night, lights and all. 

• Members

The wedding was decent. Last week might get a small rise in the ratings, but I think the show will still be below two million viewers, not the place it should be in May sweeps.