GH: O’Connor/Van Etten OUT! Mulcahey/Korte IN!

• Members

Great scene...(and I could care less about SB) makes me wonder if he wrote one of my fave GL Spaulding scenes...Alex is having a dinner party with Roger, Blake Alan Michael, Phillip and Beth and of course it all goes to hell... Beth keeps shyly trying to ask for salt to break the tension and everyone ignores her...it does on for several scenes accusations and threats, insults and lies thrown about until BevAlex just ends it with before storming out of the dining room,  "And would someone PLEASE pass Beth the damn SALT!"  Great time on GL

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just watched that TEXAS scene. Goodness me, that’ll stay with me for a little while.

It also makes me want to go and find the show to watch. 

The power of sophisticated writing, the likes I could only dream of doing myself.

• Members

Watching this week's promo makes me real hopeful Mulcahey puts an END to the violence on this soap, which should not be happening in 2024. It shouldn't... at least, not as easily as it does on General Hospital. Re-shift back onto the hospital.

• Members

It's overdue at this point; the last time I felt it could have been done is when both Julian & Sonny were sent to jail. That should have been the write-out period for the mob. Also, I know Port Charles was originally the medical spin-off for General Hospital, but it really should have been a mob-centric spin-off. We might have been spared. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Well, I've got it narrowed down to Jan. or Feb. 1991. One helpful clue is that Beth couldn't speak until sometime in 1990 and she & Phillip left sometime in 1991. Funny thing is, none of the fans helping me date this remember this "memorable" scene AT ALL! 

• Members

From THE SURVIVAL OF SOAP OPERA: TRANSFORMATIONS FOR A NEW MEDIA ERA
From PERSPECTIVE: WRITER PATRICK MULCAHEY ON CHANGES IN SOAP OPERA WRITING CONTRACTS (Based on an Interview by Giada da Ros) 

At two soaps PM was hired & worked for the HWs. At SFT the Corringtons & at GL Douglas Marland. The checks were from the HWs, not the show, not the show's production company. It was totally the choice of the HW who they hired. Really were a team, a unit, a package deal. This gave the HW power, clout, much more like an auteur. When, on Santa Barbara, they locked the Dobsons out, we just continued to write as if they were still there! For a long time no one stopped us. But eventually they did & ruined everything. 
The rule of thumb was that everything had to be spoken. Because of this image of the housewife ironing while "watching" their shows. 
At Santa Barbara we dared to use silence! At the time our doing so was considered edgy. But  today soaps are no longer "cutting edge". No, we are quaint. The biggest creative hit for soaps was not cable or the Internet or VCRs. No, what it was, was changing the writers from working for the HWs to working for the show. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
poor images

• Members

For God's sake. When a thread becomes wall to wall post after post after post by the same blocked user, you (very) occasionally have to look.

Donna. Two things. One: Nobody can read what you just photographed. No one. Two: Hunting down a scene from GL is not on topic for this thread. It can easily go to the GL thread. This is not your blog. This is not your house. This is not USENET. Take it to the GL thread, and for God's sake find a phone with a camera if you insist on photographing pages from books.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Just your luck. You picked that one instead of one of the YT clips. A pity. 

Guess what? You apparently think about Usenet more often than I do. WTH is that about?!! Please dear god go back to ignoring me! More, much more, than enough said. It might be a shock to you but I don't need your crap. Blogs, Usenet, MY HOUSE?!!! These things have NOTHING to do with my posting a contribution that was blurred. And I meant to mention why it's topical: because we think Patrick Mulcahey wrote it. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges

• Members

This thread is about Mulcahey and Korte as new HW's. Korte has been at GH for 30 years but Mulcahey has been at many soaps . Showing what he has done at those soaps is helpful to those who has not seen his work yet.

Thanks Donna