GH: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think this is a good call. The Cassadines are at their best when there is a clear vision for their reign of terror: the Ice Princess, the return of Luke and Laura, the end game. 

Let’s rest this dark side of Port Charles until there is a clear reason for a return. Something so dastardly it unites the WSB alums (Scorpio, Anna, Felicia, Max) and the mob families. 

• Members

It makes sense to me, too, that they would stop, take stock, get their bearings and in a bit come out fighting again.

In the sense of there being a first time for everything, last week I gave Laura a STFU, Laura, post! She is so far out of line with Esme that it's as bad as Portia during half of last year!

• Members

I too thought Hogestyn was fine, from what I remember of Lucas at that time.  It's more that I just couldn't really picture him after all these years, and I didn't feel like his character was the focus of the story (not his fault).

I don't think I realized Carnes lasted as long as he did last time, or that they recast right after he left.  I probably don't want to Google what Carnes had to say about COVID?

Please register in order to view this content

I may have assumed Lucas's return a decade ago was headed in a particular direction based on the aforementioned things that creative team had done with LGBTQ+ characters at OLTL.  Also, by that point, I could only take their material overall in small doses.  I liked Felix okay when he first came on (Lucy's first scene back was with him, right?  I think that's what I first tuned back in for) even if the actor was green.  Now that I think about it, I do remember the Sabrina character and the lead-up to Robin's return.  I must have tuned out by the time most of what was described of Felix's involvement in their triangle with Patrick played out, because it sounds awful but I have no recollection.

When I heard Lucas was back a year or so(?) later and started watching his scenes, I didn't mind the idea of pairing him with Felix.  They (and Brad) just didn't seem to be getting much airtime.  Especially not in comparison to what I assumed a cishet triangle centered around a character who had just learned their long-lost mob kingpin father was alive would have gotten.  Maybe it was just a dry spell, because it sounds like they got more material than I anticipated.  Alas, descriptions like "Carnes even played Phil Brewer in the flashback sequence in Luke's big psychodrama episode" and "try to force Michael to have sex with him" don't make me feel like I missed anything...  (Now, the premise that Lucas likes to watch Golden Girls reruns I could get behind.)

FWIW I thought Lucas's scene with Felix at the funeral was well-handled and seemed about the right length given the occasion and how I assume their relationship ended.

• Members

If you can accept it as a substitute for onscreen intimacy or any other character building, then sure. Golden Girls and other gay pop culture TV cliches were the language the GH gays spoke in during that era.

I don't think Lucas and Felix ever had an actual relationship. They danced around it at best during Ron's tenure, but ultimately Lucas got and stayed for many years with Brad, who was supposed to be the spoiler to Lucas and Felix initially.

Edited by Vee

• Members

LOL Your posts never entered my mind, so you might want to pull back on the self-flattery. I fully explained my feelings about the first 3 days of the memorial and why the 4th and final day was so special. Nothing you said had anything to do with my comments.

• Members

Perhaps we can pause to consider the irony of preaching independent thinking when for years some folks have turned up mostly to rail against anyone not enjoying these shows and suggesting anyone "too critical" leave the thread.

Also, it was a two day memorial, not four.

• Members

The Laura-Nicolas-Spencer-Ace-Esme saga is the best thing on the show right now.  I hope it's not going to be over soon.

The Bobbie tribute was nice, especially the scenes involving Laura-Lucy-Scott-Kevin.  What a powerful medium soap storytelling can be when you have character growth, introspection and insight about relationships that are literally 30-40 years long.

• Members

Meanwhile, the reference to Monica having a scene with Lois a few pages back was the first I learned that Rena Sofer was back. lol 

I never thought I'd see that.  I went back and watched Lois's scenes from the full episodes that are still available in my Hulu account and Rena is great.  But I am grateful for the explanation of the whole SEC story in the first pages of this thread, because the way these characters were going on about it was really WTF.  The one thing I'm still wondering is why Lois cares about any of this, least of all who "ratted out" Sonny's ex and Cameron Mathison's character?  Unless she's worried about Brooke Lynn's involvement in Michael and Ned's deal or something? 

If anything, I could see Lois calling the SEC herself on principle, and then all these people who are mad at Cynthia Watros's character turning on Lois for that.  Or maybe Sonny overhearing Lois questioning her daughter about why everyone is so mad about reporting a crime and learning the truth that way.  Lois may be obsessed with the truth, but not with truth tellers.  She was the one who convinced Brenda to wear that wire on Sonny all those years ago, and she exposed Ned's bigamy in front of the whole town and let the chips fall where they may.