ALL: From Daytime to Primetime...and back again

• Members

What was so totally weird when the last of New York fell, Danny had worked on GL, ATWT & AMC, then next on DAYS. There were fans who actually said he was to blame for all the cancellations! They referred to it (as if it were a real thing) as the Danny Cosgrove Curse. I kid you not. I was nonplussed. I just wondered if they were really that superstitious, or what?! Perhaps the fans who are imbeciles?! 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I barely remembered that show, so I looked up an episode on YT.  Clearly, KA did it for two reasons: 1) the money, and 2) Shelley Curtis, who worked on that show as well as on DAYS (and later, GH).  Otherwise, LS is the kind of slick, low-budget, New Age-ish program for single (white) people that could have existed only in the late '80's and early '90's.

• Members

It was such a “chicken or the egg” comment. On GL, he was a bright spot in its final days, a welcomed and unexpected return since he had left for Primetime after his first GL stint. Let’s face it, the cancellation writing was on the wall. Same with ATWT

With AMC, I admit that abrupt ending was a shocker. The move to LA was supposed to extend the show’s life not end it. The writer made a concerted effort to attract back familiar faces like Budig, Cosgrove, and Reigel (who passes for YR). He played such a small supporting role in his AMC return, there is no way he could be blamed for cancellation. 

…and when it comes to the Ted McGinely comparison, the two men are very easy on the eyes. 

What a flash in the pan moment of Michelle. She won an Emmy and the world was her oyster! Too bad that Spelling vehicle had no legs. A super bloated cast, with a vague premise. It was like they were running out of Westside towns to name shows after…

This a great one. Jack and films and primetime, I was for sure that we would never see him in an extended run in daytime again! And there he was on B&B! He had quite the run too, many successful pairings. 

He’s back to Primetime now on Hallmark. 

• Errol changed the title to ALL: From Daytime to Primetime...and back again
  • Members

Daniel Cosgrove is a talented actor but the fact is any time he turns up a show is not far from the grave, lol. It's not his fault but it is what happens every time. There's no point in pretending otherwise.

• Members

He has what scientists call "rotten luck," lol.

Here's my problem with Daniel Cosgrove: several of his past co-stars have talked in the past about how funny and charming he is IRL, but you never see any of that on-screen!  It's as if the moment the director yells "Action!" or says "and in 5...4...3...2...1," all the humor and charm leave his person completely.

• Members
Posted (edited)

And in a year or three, when the buzz on him has cooled off, Bradley Bell will be glad to give him a part on B&B.

ETA: Just saw the extended trailer for his new CBS series, "Tracker," in the WATN thread.  So, instead of three years, maybe ten or eleven?

Edited by Khan

• Members

What I admire about Lucci is how gracious she is. She always played ball with ABC Daytime and was a reliable team player. ABC Daytime, in turn, rewarded that kind of loyalty and collaborated with her about TV Movies, all the while keeping her busy and front burner at AMC. Back in the 80s and 90s when it was owned by Capital Cities and later Disney under Michael Eisner, there was a certain level of rapport and respect between ABC Daytime and its talent that we haven't seen in 20+ years. 

Lucci also capitalized on her visibility by marketing products. All the while it seemed Susan really valued her personal life and having the time to devote to it to her husband and children and friends. When you look at her Instagram, she has a lot of very old friends who are loyal to her and have supported her in her widowhood - the time she spent with them, being Susan Huber from Garden City, Long Island, clearly paid dividends. 

That was great fun to watch. At the very end, Joan gives Susan a pat on the back - time has proven both of them nice people. 

That would have been fabulous. Both Joan and Susan would have had a sense of humour about it. The Carousel Ball had Gerald Ford appear as himself, if I remember correctly, there's no reason Erica Kane couldn't have shown up. 

Donna is a hustler. She works very hard and seemed very interested in getting back into the entertainment business 10 years ago and saw a daytime soap as her way in. She won an Emmy and then started picking up Lifetime work, she did a VC Andrews movie for them last year that was their highest rated program.

And she had luck on Melrose Place where she played a Heidi Fleiss inspired madame - in my opinion the best work of her career.