Days of Our Lives: September 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Rex is this week's dumbest guy in Salem!

He told Phillip, the ex-boyfriend of his fiancée's baby's daddy, that he is the not Victoria's father in the middle of the town square?

I like the Vivian and Phillip dynamic.  I mean, it is odd that she's ignored him for years, and now wants to emphasize that she gestated him.  But, their scene was fun and filled with good energy.

Also, why's Brady offering to reimburse Theresa for the trip to Greece?  Doesn't he already pay all of her bills?  And we're going to need some clarification on Theresa as a single mother.  Because hasn't Brady been visiting regularly in California?  Or, are we supposed to think that he didn't see Tate during his rapid aging period? 

Also, where's @carolineg?  Has she gone off to a European Boarding School for SORASing?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Lol!  No, I need to be de-SORASing like Marlena through the years if anything.

Please register in order to view this content

The show this week just hasn't inspired me to post.  

I am bummed JL is leaving as Theresa so I can't invest in her story.  Same with Belle/Shawn.  And the other days I have been too hypnotized by Talia's eyebrow acting to post.  I haven't watched today's episode yet though.  

• Members

I feel you. I'm the same way. JL returning as Theresa has added a boost to the show but with Gwen 2.0 taking over it's hard to invest in a Gwen 2.0 and Ben 2.0 love fest.

Vivian has also electrified the show but it's all going to be about Ben 2.0 so why should I care about this story? This story had potential but it was ruined before it ever began.

• Members

I'm going to give the decision the grace to say that it may be a great PR stunt.  I would be happy to see a good actress be able to play a more likable character.  And, I appreciate that soaps believe that the audience is savvy enough to accept that one performer can play multiple roles, as that has been part of the DNA of the genre.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I don't like Theresa as a character that much.  I think JL elevates the material and makes Theresa likable or at least understandable.  I think EOB is good and there are times I actually liked Gwen, but why replace the very good og actress with an actress that has already failed us once on this canvas?  Why bring Lilley back at all?  It just reminds us how good she is.  Honestly, if they just set out to bring Theresa back with EOB and never brought JL back it would have worked better.

• Members

If we're to believe JL's instagram post, and there's no reason not to, there was some miscommunication about her availability.  And it seems like they need Theresa to introduce Tate and set up his motivations.  As well as, my prediction that Theresa messed with Victor's will in Greece.  So, storywise, the character needs to hang around even if JL is off making more Xmas movies with titles like The Mistletoe Miracle.

Given DAYS questionable Hair & Makeup Department, I can predict that EOB's wig as Theresa is going to be a major controversy. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

I don't know it feels awfully dumb to:

1. not know Jen Lilley's availability

2. cast an actress currently on the show in the role

3. hire JL back only to can her after less than 10 episodes

4. Start the story then throw off everything by recasting

Couldn't this story have waited a few weeks?  Couldn't EOB tape scenes as Theresa to have them ready for when she exits as Gwen?   Brady and Alex could have done something else in the meantime.  To me the show is completely missing the oppurtunity to re-introduce Theresa with someone new by bringing Lilley back.  It's like, say, bringing Zach Tinker back as Sonny to reunite with everyone he knows then bringing RSW in a few weeks after those connections have been reestablished with Tinker.  If Days needed Theresa that badly either work around Lilley or go full in on EOB as Theresa.  Days is being wishy washy about this and if we are going by JL's word she was transparent about her schedule and didn't spring anything on Days.  The show is choosing this ridiculousness and I can't find an acceptable reason for this to make sense. 

• Members

I don't think it is confirmed, but I bet they'll use it as a cheeky cliffhanger to introduce Tate.

I dunno, the stunt feels in keeping with the general non-serious tone of the show.  Mostly I enjoy it so that I can come here and read what you guys think of the silliness.

I mean, I don't think most other soaps would do a story where an octogenarian ex-con openly discuses her plans to turn her dead husband's international business into an illegal drug dealing operation.

Edited by j swift

• Members

With storylines I am less critical.  Hardly any of Days stories make sense and the Vivian drug lord stuff falls in line.  

It's just a lot of the casting decisions could just be avoided if any thought was put into them.  I lost hope of the stories having thought put into them long ago, but Days casting seems to want to find the most obnoxious ways to "creatively" cast a role and it's only for Ron's pets.  MM's Belle is disposable, but let's give EOB something else to do 

.  It honestly creates more problems and fan discontent than just hiring someone else to play Theresa.  It's like Days actively is trying to cause needless problems.