Y&R: spoiler about absent character

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sometimes recurring means fired, except it is done that way to save face to keep the fans from getting angry and letting them believe that character is still a part of the show. I think Doug was quiet at first then realized what was, got used less to not at all and got angry. While I don’t agree with much of his behavior, I do understand why he was frustrated as working only a handful of days a year and having to act like this is your full time job may be difficult.

Nowadays it is seen as less of an issue as it is so common and actors put up with it aka the back burner of a contract player and then eventually they phase them out to recurring and you may see them less than 10% of episodes in a year. I prefer a character to be written out of town instead of watching daily expecting a character to appear and then have them be missing from story. When soaps not YR started doing it to save money, it was usually extremely ageist, and frustrating.  And some actors want to be off contract as they have other work or live outside of Southern California like Jess Walton.

Years ago some actors who were dropped to recurring would tell their show they were done, because why wait for the phone to ring or would find another soap to work on instead. The last time it happened was when GH decided to drop Genie Francis mid story and then she said fine, and said if you want to use me again on contract I’ll come back otherwise I am gone. I cheered at that behavior as she wasn’t disrespectful but she chose herself instead of the show who was not interested in using her. 

• Members

Well if TPTB really wanted to they could kill Paul off but it wouldn't be worth their while.

I think Kristoff,CLB and DD were all made recurring and asked to keep quiet and that they would be included in the opening and shown as contract in the credits.

It was the first shifty move. Doug went down to zero appearances a month and it was noticed ,EB spoke out and Paul returned but again his appearances fizzled. 

Maybe he was told he would still be on regularly and realized he'd been duped. He spoke out and that was that. He claims to be on good terms with CBS and JG. So it seems Sony is the problem.

He should have gone to the party as this might have worked in his favor as it would remind people he's absent and maybe changed some minds.

I know some people are anti DD but overall I think Paul should still be on in some capacity.

• Members

I think if Doug has played his cards right, he'd have 10 episodes a year without a problem. But he created an untenable position with someone at Sony in a position of power who did not like the social media whinging. 

Yes, I believe it's nearing common knowledge that Kristoff St. John, Christian LeBlanc, and Doug Davidson all went the way of Kate Linder: the appearance of contract status but the reality of recurring. 

The thing is, it's no different than Jess Walton, but she got ahead of TPTB doing it to her and made it her decision, way back in 2012. Tricia Cast, Tracey Bregman, Eileen Davidson, and Beth Maitland have all played the recurring game and probably enjoy their lives more and have a healthier relationship with the show.

Doug's bitterness is his undoing. If he took it with the half the grace that Walton, Cast, LeBlanc, Bregman, or Maitland he would still be featured on the show today. 

• Members

Yes, I believe Christian LeBlanc is recurring, although he's still featured in the credits with the contract cast.

CLB often has only one appearance per month. 

But he doesn't seem especially bothered by it.  He still participates in show activities, he posts positive things about the show on his social media accounts,  and he seems free to do what he likes (such as appearing in the off-Broadway production of "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof".  During his diminished airtime, he's remained a team player, and TPTB seem to want to include him.  

Intentionally or not, Doug went in the opposite direction, retweeting negative things that fans passed along to him, complaining about not being appreciated, sharing tweets that make him appear critical of the show.  He also adopted a sense of "finality" -- I guess they don't want me anymore, I guess I'm finished here, I know where I'm not wanted.  

This probably reinforces SONY's position that he's better off excluded.  

• Members

My sentiments exactly.  I don't believe anyone in the audience hates Paul or even especially dislikes Paul.  Most of us have been his fans at one time or another.  A positive attitude on his part -- even if it's fake -- would create more anticipation for his return and more nostalgia for the role he played so well for 40 years.  

• Members

It was a combination of factors that threw Paul under the bus.

Firstly making him Police Chief limited his role-keeping him as a PI would have allowed more scope and involvement- he could have been investigating Ashland for Victor, helping Jack find Keemo etc

The decision to drop the GCPD set.

Paul had a limited role outside his job. Marrying him off to Christine, with LLB reluctant to return meaning no personal stories could be developed. Writing out or killing off his kids.

Josh wanting to focus on Abbott, Newman and Chancellor business.

Doug being a vet with a pay packet to match.

• Members

Yeah, I doubt there was an malice toward him.  He was playing a somewhat peripheral character, and he was a highly-paid veteran from the Big Salary Era.  They couldn't keep him on contract; that was obvious.  The writing had been on the wall for a while.  

They didn't KILL HIM OFF the way they did Don Diamont's character.  They basically said, "We can't afford you right now, and we don't really *need* you right now.  We're going to put you aside.  When we have a scene for you, and when we can afford you, we'll give you an episode."  That's about the best they could do.  

He should be out living the good life -- doing other things, such as stage work or nighttime guest work -- and when his schedule allows, and when TPTB can afford him, they'd be more than happy to work him in for a day or two.  

No reason at all to be bitter or to feel slighted.  

If the show lasts a few more years, we'll undoubtedly see the same thing happen to other, more ingrained veterans (such as Nikki, Jack, and Victor).  

• Members

Paul was one of my favorite characters for a long time, and by all rights he should be there for the anniversary. He was a big part of what kept the show humming in the '80s and '90s. Yet Doug's behavior does seem delusional and ungrateful when you think of the opportunities he got from his decades on the show, including hosting the primetime Price is Right.  I assume he watched actors like Jeanne Cooper who were kept on even in their last years, but those are exceptions, not rules. 

Jack should have gone a decade ago. Nikki and Victor I could see staying to the end of the show (or until MES and EB retire), but it would depend on how willing they are to adapt to the realities of soap salary today. They were more integral than Paul going some ways back. Even by the mid '00s Paul felt like a spare part. I don't think he ever recovered from the "rough sex" storyline.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

As others have said, this whole fiasco does make me have a lot more respect for performers like Beth Maitland, who were discarded years ago, saw their only onscreen children killed off, and were humiliated by the diva behavior of other "actors" like ex-Beastmaster.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I agree about Jack.  They keep him in the heart of the story, but I think his usefulness as a leading man is (long) over. 

To be honest, all of those old high-priced actors from the 1970s and 1980s (Nikki, Victor, Paul, and Jack) should still be seen sporadically in recurring capacity, while a new generation should've been groomed (years ago) to drive the storylines. 

It's a case of running on the fumes of past glories, I guess.    

• Members

I'm of the opposite opinion: If I had to slash and burn the show's budget and reinvent it again (which should've been done some time ago) for a streaming platform, I'd put Braeden and Melody on recurring and let them come in and out for stories when they can be integral. As it stands now, just floating around the characters are burnt out. Most of their family is. Victoria would be gone, possibly for good. I'd phase a lot of Newmans out, probably leave Nick and Sharon parked somewhere if on contract at all (probably not). They would be tentpoles if they hung around.

By contrast I'd definitely keep and marry Jack and Diane as a tentpole senior couple, cement the old/young generations of the Abbott and Winters clans (including Rowell) and focus there for the time being along on the young ones with new people. I'd kill Billy. I think many of the other young Abbotts have more viability.

Over half the cast is tired. It's time to cull. Bell did it several times.

Edited by Vee

• Members

If there were another actor in Jack's part, I'd agree, but after all the stories about his feelings on Luan and Keemo, Victoria Rowell, and Bergman's decline in performance, I have no interest in seeing him.

I would agree about killing Billy, a character I've never liked, no matter who is in the part.

I would recast Victoria, bringing back Heather Tom if at all possible, and write out Nick and Sharon.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

It is a shame that Doug's bitterness has kept him out of all the 50th Anniversary festivities. He always seemed like one of the go to guys for Y&R when they did promotion. He was the fun outgoing guy on all the talk shows and as the longest running cast member he must have loads of great stories. And this bitterness apparently keeps him not only out of the official activities but also all the informal Zoom streams where I'm sure he could add a lot. I wouldn't mind seeing him be interviewed on Locher or Fairman's channel, but they seem to be just as guarded as the official soap press about not discussing anything controversial.

I do understand his position to an extent. Imagine if you had a full-time job, say a teacher, for 40 years, and your performance was generally well-regarded but the powers that be decided your salary was too high so you will no longer be a full-time employee, but they'll call you in whenever they feel like it and pay you per diem. A lot of regular people would be offended and just retire (if they could afford it). The shows know that they can get away with it because these aging actors don't have a lot of other choices so they can essentially get them on anytime and not have to pay them to be on contract. As a fan I prefer if they can work it out and keep the characters on the show in some capacity and we all understand the budget is not what it once was, but if some actors feel like they were essentially fired when they were taken off contract, that's not unreasonable.

GH manages to find story for Mac Scorpio whom I see as Paul's counterpart on that show and is roughly the same age but hasn't been on as long. But then GH manages to find story for a lot of vets and actually builds up the younger set too. Y&R can't find story for the elder Nikki and Victor, can't find story for middle-aged Sharon, can't find story for young adults Noah and Allie, can't find story for teenage Faith and Moses... 

What I think it boils down to is DD is pissed that he's put in the tier with Le Blanc, Maitland etc who were put on recurring and not the top tier with Braeden, Scott, and Bergman who will always be on contract even when they have absolutely nothing to do because they are the "stars."

Edited by BoldRestless