• Members

Well folks, it's Blue People Time again. Avatar: The Way of Water reactions have begun rolling in from its London premiere - not just from the usual gaggle of 'just happy to be invited to a premiere' geeks who too often flood these kind of advance premieres with gushing takes and skew the early response, but from serious critics who I either like or (in the case of the obnoxious David Ehrlich) at least respect. Despite an understandable skepticism from I imagine most of us about the longevity of Avatar over the years, I learned long ago never to doubt James Cameron, whose career was supposed to be buried by big gambles with first Terminator, then the deeply chaotic production of Titanic, then the first Avatar (which I thought would spell disaster), all of which were monster hits instead. Therefore, I am unsurprised to find that most of these reviews are largely glowing.

I am the first person to allow that Avatar's place in the cultural consciousness is permeable at best, and that its story ("Dances with Wolves in space") is as classic and old as the hills. I was among the many doubters in the 2010s, when these new films began production ages ago, that a plan for multiple sequels would fly. But as we've approached the film's release next week, I've noticed excitement quietly building among people for a major cinematic experience that has nothing to do with existing IP like Marvel or Star Wars, or simple nostalgia bait, and I think people have underestimated Cameron yet again. Also, Sigourney Weaver's new role is very unusual and daring, and I am excited to see her being offered a totally unique character and type of role for the first time in a very long career.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days