DAYS: July 2022 Discussion Thread ⌛

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I’m totally here for Chad & Sonny hooking up for all the reasons already mentioned, but IF they ever did go there, it’d always be tainted by undertones of thirsty fanfiction.

And re.: Xander & Sarah… ya, they blundered this.  They were one of the last decade’s great surprises (even though Xander did get lightweight Ben whitewashed) and now they’re completely intolerable.  And imo, she only ever worked with him (and God knows RC tried and tried and tried to make her the show’s premiere heroine after Abby left in 2018).

• Members

I remember those scenes and how both Chandler and James Scott (EJ) brought a great deal of subtext in their scenes together. No it was never spoken or acknowledged but anyone who was watching who was in the know could see it plain as day.

I always wished the show would took that and played with it. I would have loved to have seen Will having fantasies in which he gleefully sexualize EJ.

I remember a scene on Y&R years and years ago with Jill Abbott and Ryan McNeil. They were in Jill's office and Jill was sitting behind her desk. Ryan was standing in front of her desk in a business suit. As he discuss business, Jill sat at desk and began fantasizing and sexualizing Ryan which the audience was able to see. As they camera panned in on Jill's lustful face they cut to Ryan in where his suit jacket had suddenly disappeared. Panned back to Jill. Her eyes is growing more lustful. Cut to Ryan. Suddenly his shirtless. The scene eventually ends with Ryan standing in front of Jill's desk - still talking business - wearing nothing more than his very tight white briefs. Actor Scott Reeves (Ryan) who played Ryan was at his most ripped and shredded best. He was looking seriously yummy!!

Could you imagine if we had a scene like that at the DiMera mansion with EJ talking to Will as Will began fantasizing stripping EJ out of clothing?? How fabulous that would have been.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I agree. When I was watching I remember how RC kept trying to make Sarah happen with Rex, happen with Eric, but the chemistry she had was WITH XANDER. And the audience ate up that good girl/bad boy dynamic a la Lexie Grey/McSteamy where the good girl has an edge but does not want the bad boy and the bad boy...actually likes and falls in love with the good girl. 

But...they tossed Sarah in a trunk...and the story died...it sounds like.  Sad since they definitely had supercouple potential.

And....what is this I hear about Mr. Tinker and his arms today???

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

The original Chill bromance was written at a time where a lot of the script writing staff had worked for the P&G soaps in the 1980s with strong, emotionally intimate relationships between men like Rick & Phillip on GL and Jamie / Sandy on AW. They were clearly going with that type of relationship which always seemed to be dripping in homoerotic subtext so I think the writers knew what they were doing with Chill. As I recall, there was also some tension building around Kate pushing Stefano to groom Will to be his heir apparent which was why Kate kept mum about Chad's paternity. I do wish that someone would remember that Chad's arrived in town fresh out of rehab when he was introduced in 2009, but I don't think anyone has addressed that in years.

The EJ & Will stuff was never subtle because both actors laid into it heavy. The possibility of EJ & Will was more interesting to me than the execution which always came across to me as a way of making Will gay without having to pair him up with anyone which would have been clever in 1982, but was trite by 2012. At the very least, they could have least let Sami think Will had bedded down with her ex-husband for a very new reason for Sami Brady to have one of her over the top meltdowns.

In terms of present day, this is "Days of our Lives" written by RC. If Chad / Sonny were to happen, you know that it would only be because Dr. Rolf implanted Abigail's memories in Sonny's mind. Moral of the story is be careful what you wish for. 

Well, the twist in today's episode was interesting. I just don't care for the characters. Paulina's political aspirations for Abe came out of nowhere. At least Abe finally has a home set to live in. Don't care about Shawn and Belle. They're only mildly interesting when they have affairs.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I think the reason so many of us are talking about those Chad and Sonny scenes is because the director and production team INTENTIONALLY shot those scenes to be homoerotic. It's because Billy Flynn and Zach Tinker leaned into all of it.

They could have shot that same dialogue in a completely different "bro" way, never leaning into anything sexual at all. This isn't about us seeing something that doesn't exist -- it's about us seeing exactly what they gave us.

Watch those scenes again. The camera shots are often tight and close. That's perfect when you put Sonny in a tight shirt that shows off big pumped guns. Closeups on the guys' faces plays into this, especially when you see how closely Chad and Sonny sit together on the sofa. It's just not possible that Sonny would sit THAT close to Chad unless he was directed to do so.

Sonny gets up at one point, and when he sits down again, he AGAIN sits right next to Chad -- making it very easy to do a comforting hug that leaves A LOT open to interpretation. Of course, Billy and Zach play it to the hilt. They know EXACTLY what they're doing, and I think they want us to notice and to take this where we've taken it. Those hugs and embraces can be found in the dictionary under "homoerotic."

A while back, in a Billy Flynn Twitter thread, someone posted a screenshot of Billy's booty in tight slacks. I literally thanked Billy for wearing tight pants so often. Did Billy respond? Only with a LIKE, but that was enough to make my day LOL. He didn't respond to everyone, either -- that's not what it was. I see BF as evolved and more...a great ally who has NO problem flirting and more on cam with another guy. These are the straight guys I love hehe

Same with Zach Tinker. The guy knows he's lusted after, and he's fine with giving us his best assets. I think he's much more comfortable onscreen with the gay stuff than Chandler Massey is.

I might be wrong (and I hope I am) but I don't think DAYS will "go there." I think they're willing to tease and torture us but that they're afraid to go all the way and have Chad and Sonny do the deed.