Days of Our Lives: March 2022 Discussion Thread

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

But the key word in that sentence is "grudgingly."  He GRUDGINGLY admitted the Teen Jess story was terrible.  As if to say, "It would be (or would have been) a good story, BUT...," when the truth is, it never would've been a good story, not even if Agnes Nixon herself had written it.  The premise was idiotic; the execution was worse; and Ron Carlivati had no business pulling it out of his ass, let alone pitching it to ABC or foisting it on the OLTL audience. 

But Jamey saw it play out and probably said, "Well, he just told it wrong!".  And that, as Robert Frost would say, makes all the difference.

Well...?  IIRC, Nick (Mandy Patinkin) does sleep with Jan (Glenn Close), but it's more like Jan's body with Maxie's spirit.  So, I guess you could say there was rape?

That movie was so strange, lol.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I know, that was my point. That's because he already had a parasocial relationship with Ron Carlivati personally, which reached its nadir when he spent hours raging about the disloyalty of the GH cast for leaking against Ron in 2015 and comparing him to Gloria Monty being betrayed by the ensemble in 1991-92 (not the most sympathetic parallel, if he'd taken the time to think it through).

I think he's matured a bit from that behavior. I can't speak to his actual writing, other than to say that this entire Sarah/Renee thing is a joke and something he had the experience to know better about.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Not if, as I edited my post upthread to say, his only, actual problem with the Teen Jess story was/is that Ron "told it wrong."  Which is so not what that experience should have taught him, lol.

So, that's how you get a job writing for a soap?  You kiss the HW's ass?

"Wow, Ron, this story with Chad, Leo, Sonny and Will is on fleek!  YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS hun-tee!"

Great, I'm still not working on a writing staff AND I feel dead inside.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I would direct your attention to RC's Twitter interaction a week or two ago when he scoffed at the idea that viewers were his boss.
The implication being: his boss is KC, not the viewers and he is the one RC cares to keep onside.
I thought it was very telling then and it is even more so when you imagine that he then reproduces that dynamic with the people under his own supervision.

Popular culture like to celebrate crazy geniuses and loners and rebels among artists but we can't be fools that success in show-business is often as much about who you know, who likes you and how you handles the people who have power than raw talent. People with no social skills rarely thrive and a lot of stars are just mediocre people with great social skills.
And I'd say a good creator would use that brown-nosing to then give himself more space to do creative things and the problem here is that instead it seems things are being created to brown-nose

• Members

I'd argue that Ken Corday tends to panic if the network is unhappy with the ratings, however linear ratings are in the dumps for even prime time programming these days so that seems less of a worry (unless we're talking about them suddenly taking a dive under 1.5 million).

I'm one of those who doesn't think Ron is the worst fit for DAYS, but he does need someone to divert his worse instincts (masks, SaRenee). The implication these days is that Giddens seems to be getting too much ear from Ron though and that seems like a recipe for a disaster and possibly Ron's undoing. The show is borderline unwatchable right now and usually the saving grace of DAYS is that their day-to-day scripts are better than the overall plotting. But even the talented break-down writers can save the current dreck.

• Members

Ron isn't the worst fit for DAYS, but whenever he's untempered and unmanaged by a strong counterweight and clear directives, we all know what he does by now. Jamey Giddens has clearly had his share of bad ideas but Ron didn't need his help getting fired from GH.

The pet theory (which I know te. did not come up with) that somehow Jamey has overridden Carlivati's better angels and is co-opting the show discounts Ron's own long history of narrative insanity well before this year and this storyline. IMO that's personal and rooted in fandom's resentment over Giddens going from fan to creative. Jamey has obviously come up with a terrible story, but Ron does not need Jamey's help to fùck up. Both problems can exist.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Not saying that Ron can't screw up on his own - because he certainly has during his current run on DAYS - but I feel it's more of a tip the scale thing. So far he hasn't really suffered from viewers turning off their sets in masses (or at least more than broadcast is suffering from it in general) because there's at least been some storylines viewers felt invested in and of course, I do think DAYS usually has talented break-down writers that try their hardest to make the day-to-day shows work. However, having someone encouraging his worst tendencies on the writing staff that's also been a bit of a fanboy of him back in the day... is not great news.

It is of course still on Ron for not seeing that the SaRenee mess was a bad idea. I assume Ron has some influence who is on his writing staff is so if he's surrounding himself with sycophants that's on him.

Edited by te.

• Members

Nope. Sonny told Chad he dropped Will and Ari off at the airport. Wil's flying back to Arizona. 

While too early to know for sure. Part of me wonders if an alcoholism story is in the cards for Sonny. Chad mentioned Sonny poured the drinks strong and they kept cutting to Sonny with a drink in his hand. 

Edited by wingwalker