ALL: Storylines that took the biggest risks and got the biggest rewards?

• Members

Dark Shadows definitely gets the award for taking a chance.  Who on earth would've thought a vampire would become a successful leading man on a 1967 daytime soap?  lol.  

They took another huge risk, as well -- the 1795 storyline.  After about a year on the air, they completely ditched every character on the show (except Victoria Winters and Barnabas Collins), left them all sitting unseen around a séance table for months and months, and introduced the audience to an entirely new slate of characters from a different century.  And they went into it blazing, with no intention of showing the previous characters until the 1795 storyline was finished.  This move had the potential to alienate and confuse viewers and result in the show's cancellation.  Instead, it propelled them to higher ratings than they'd seen before.   

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't think any of Y&R's risky deaths had any payoffs in the last 20 years: Ryan, Brad, Drucilla, Colleen, Cassie, Delia, John. I don't  To go back further not even killing Rex did anything for the show.

Worse yet, Y&R poorly invested in any children born on the show (after about the mid 90s) going on to impact story in a major capacity. So killing Colleen and Cassie was wasted potential of the next generation of characters.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

I think the reason the 1795 story worked was because the show wisely used Victoria as a guide.  The audience had an attachment to her since she was the introduction to the present day Collins family so it made sense she was the intro to the 1795 branch of the family.

That's the reason the introduction to Barnabas and later 1795 worked..because the show used the relatable outsider (Victoria) to usher it in.

• Members

Redeeming AW's Rachel and shifting the show's focus from Alice and Steve to her was certainly risky, and it paid off both critically and ratings-wise ... at least for a while.

Days moving from the intense psychological drama of the 70s to the action-adventure format of the 80s could have been deemed a risk, and it worked for them.

Marlena's possession was a big risk and it paid off handsomely. Having Marlena kill off a bunch of characters as the Salem Stalker was a big risk -- so big that the show decided to reverse itself.

• Members

For sure -- like the audience at home, Miss Winters was the "outsider looking in" on all the weirdness and spookiness.   She helped us to understand (and care about) the present day Collins family when the show premiered, and she helped us to care about the 1795 members of the family as well when she met them.  

Still, what a creative risk to remove virtually every character off the canvas in one big Friday afternoon swoop and leave them all in suspended animation, unseen by the audience, for four months or more.  

• Members

Yeah, I don’t think anybody had any idea.  She seemed competent as a kid, they gave her stuff to do, but this really had complex layers to deal with. They hired and acting coach to help her and Michael Sutton.  He was pretty green at first too, but by the last year they were just both really strong performers I felt.

GH was my show as a kid/teen, and while it was always enjoyable and fun and adventurous it did not dig deep very often in my viewing.  Riche really changed all that, and then Labine just went there.  People really had the chance to act out a lot of human emotion and almost all the actors really rose to the occasion.

• Members

It wasn't necessarily too risky, but Brooke and Deacon's affair on B&B was a bold story that had good payoff. Brooke had slept with other women's husbands, but to do that to her daughter was a new low. The way it was done was exactly how soap operas should be done.

• Members

Killing Lucas on Another World, then turning his wife Felicia into an alcoholic on Another World.  Using a popular character in a storyline like this is a risk, but for over a year Linda Dano did a fantastic and realistic job playing an alcoholic who hit rock bottom.  The storyline won Dano an Emmy and the show was nominated for writing Emmys as well.  Felicia's intervention is on point- great acting, great writing, great directing.  Dano, Alicia Coppola, Stephen Schnetzer, and Vicky Wyndham all gave great performances during that intervention.