How'd they get so rich? (Soap Company Edition)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It really was daytime’s most successful business story by far and shook up dynamics for years especially as for Newman’s takeover of Jabot. The Forrester/Spectra rivalry of the 90s is in second place. 

Otherwise it’s been “Who’s going to run Spaulding?” or “Who’s going to run Titan?” type battles. 

• Members

One of the many dropped threads from the syndicated show Rituals was that the Chapins owned a football team.  At one point Taylor was low in funds so the team had to move into the mansion and Lacey (Philece Sampler) the PE teacher at the college did aerobics with them.

Also, Asa Buchanan owned a football team at point on OLTL and Mimi King was one of the cheerleaders (around the time of the cultural phenomenon of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders).

Edited by j swift

• Members

Well, DAYS had the Andersons and their manufacturing company that we discussed in the Behind the Scenes thread the other day. Ironically, as the other shows started to add companies due to the success of prime time soaps it seems like the Andersons just faded away at the end of the 70s/start of the 80s. Anderson Manufacturing was somewhat kept on the show until the mid/late-80s when it was burnt down never to be mentioned again?

Today we have... Basic Black, which has an office. No, literally, they just have one office. They do fashion... things... something?

• Members

Isn't Basic Black a division of Alamain Industries?  If I remember the novelizations correctly (A Stirring in Salem & A Secret in Salem which didn't actually take place in Salem, and don't seem to be cannon given that there is an unmentioned offspring), Basic Black was just one part of the overall Alamain Empire focusing on fashion.

• Members

Isn't titan still around?  Isn't that what Phillip and Xander are fighting over?  And Dimera Enterprises which does a little bit of everything and everyone seems to be fighting over it too?

I think Basic Black is solely fashion.  I don't think they do anything else.

I though John just bought it with his Alamain or Toscano fortune.  I didn't think it was part of the Alamain empire but I guess it's possible since he was still thought to be an Alamain back then.