How'd they get so rich? (Soap Company Edition)

1 hour ago, watson71 said:

On Another World, it was well established that Mac Cory owned a large international publishing company, but when Steve Frame was introduced in the clip below at the 53 minute mark, it was briefly stated that he worked in construction.  What caught Rachel's attention and impressed her was that he was the owner of Bay City Bengals, a minor league football team.  It seems that this plot was quickly dropped by subsequent writers, but it would have been interesting to focus on the football team, rather than Frame  Construction.  Has any soap ever featured a football team in a storyline?

I believe Asa Buchanan on One Life To Live owned a football team. I think he even dated one of the team's cheerleaders too. 

21 minutes ago, titan1978 said:

Of all the soaps I watched, Jabot was the best defined business, and had clear roles for everyone involved and real dramatic stakes that played out as major storylines.

I knew what Jill’s job was, Ashley in the lab, and the dynamics at Newman with Victor, Jack, Neil, Ryan, etc, and how it relates to Jabot.

I don’t think any soap has ever told a business story as successful as Victor’s takeover of Jabot, followed by the family getting it back a decade + later.

It really was daytime’s most successful business story by far and shook up dynamics for years especially as for Newman’s takeover of Jabot. The Forrester/Spectra rivalry of the 90s is in second place. 

Otherwise it’s been “Who’s going to run Spaulding?” or “Who’s going to run Titan?” type battles. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, watson71 said:

Has any soap ever featured a football team in a storyline?

One of the many dropped threads from the syndicated show Rituals was that the Chapins owned a football team.  At one point Taylor was low in funds so the team had to move into the mansion and Lacey (Philece Sampler) the PE teacher at the college did aerobics with them.

Also, Asa Buchanan owned a football team at point on OLTL and Mimi King was one of the cheerleaders (around the time of the cultural phenomenon of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders).

Edited by j swift

Was the Cabot family on ATWT the only ones to own an auto manufacturer? I remember everyone in Oakdale wanted a “Cabot Mountaineer” vehicle. 

Well, DAYS had the Andersons and their manufacturing company that we discussed in the Behind the Scenes thread the other day. Ironically, as the other shows started to add companies due to the success of prime time soaps it seems like the Andersons just faded away at the end of the 70s/start of the 80s. Anderson Manufacturing was somewhat kept on the show until the mid/late-80s when it was burnt down never to be mentioned again?

Today we have... Basic Black, which has an office. No, literally, they just have one office. They do fashion... things... something?

8 hours ago, te. said:

Basic Black, which has an office. No, literally, they just have one office. They do fashion... things... something?

Isn't Basic Black a division of Alamain Industries?  If I remember the novelizations correctly (A Stirring in Salem & A Secret in Salem which didn't actually take place in Salem, and don't seem to be cannon given that there is an unmentioned offspring), Basic Black was just one part of the overall Alamain Empire focusing on fashion.

15 hours ago, te. said:

Well, DAYS had the Andersons and their manufacturing company that we discussed in the Behind the Scenes thread the other day. Ironically, as the other shows started to add companies due to the success of prime time soaps it seems like the Andersons just faded away at the end of the 70s/start of the 80s. Anderson Manufacturing was somewhat kept on the show until the mid/late-80s when it was burnt down never to be mentioned again?

Today we have... Basic Black, which has an office. No, literally, they just have one office. They do fashion... things... something?

Isn't titan still around?  Isn't that what Phillip and Xander are fighting over?  And Dimera Enterprises which does a little bit of everything and everyone seems to be fighting over it too?

I think Basic Black is solely fashion.  I don't think they do anything else.

6 hours ago, j swift said:

Isn't Basic Black a division of Alamain Industries?  If I remember the novelizations correctly (A Stirring in Salem & A Secret in Salem which didn't actually take place in Salem, and don't seem to be cannon given that there is an unmentioned offspring), Basic Black was just one part of the overall Alamain Empire focusing on fashion.

I though John just bought it with his Alamain or Toscano fortune.  I didn't think it was part of the Alamain empire but I guess it's possible since he was still thought to be an Alamain back then.