RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

In my lifetime then, as opposed to 1965 or 1971 or some date before my time. 

One would hope that he would have evolved out of that thinking but it seems that most men who believe this only ever seem to change their views if they suddenly have daughters and since Connery had two sons...

• Members

Sean Connery was a complicated man of a certain era. I am not going to go down the cancel road with the dude the day he died; I knew about those comments decades ago and I certainly don't like them, but I prefer to believe he evolved and he did a lot of good in his life and career. YMMV.

Anyway: Here is a great thread and story.

One of Connery's very best performances and most underseen was in Sidney Lumet's The Offence, was made as part of his multi-picture deal with United Artists which he got to make small films he believed in upon agreeing to return for Diamonds are Forever. He also donated his salary from Diamonds to found the Scottish International Educational Trust. The Offence is a dark, brutal experience and you can find it for rental on Amazon; it used to be on Prime for free. I highly recommend it, along with his other, kookier '70s Lumet film, The Anderson Tapes with Christopher Walken. For me, it took the most balls for him to walk away from Bond and do films like those and most especially John Boorman's Zardoz - a singular vision if ever there was one.

One more underseen diamond of his: Outland.