How Did You Get Into Soaps?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was raised in a CBS-watching household and my earliest tv memories are of Y&R and B&B. I remember coming home from kindergarten to watch David Kimble and Sheila Carter running wild in Genoa City. Whenever I was home from school, I would watch the CBS line-up. I especially loved watching scheming women like Sheila, Phyllis Summers, Sally Spectra, Stephanie Forrester, Dinah Marler, Lucinda Walsh, and Orlena Grimaldi. In the late 90s, I became glued to the Annie Dutton saga and became a diehard GL fan. I stuck with GL until the Kreizman-Wheeler era drove me away for good. I still have not brought myself to watch episodes from the Peapack era, I have not even seen the series finale. I have dabbled with every long-running American soap except for GH, but in the mid-2000s I stopped watching US soaps.

In 2004 I started following EastEnders, Emmerdale, and Coronation Street. I also watched Doctors (the UK serial/procedural hybrid) and Home and Away for a while. A few years ago I started watching US soaps again. I began watching Y&R again to see what Mal Young was doing with it. I got back into B&B when I saw that Kimberlin Brown was back. Eileen Davidson's return as Kristen got me back into DOOL. These days I watch DOOL, B&B, and Y&R for actors and characters I like and the occasional good story/scene. The last storyline I was really compelled by was the Abbot power struggle last year. I do not have high expectations for US soaps in this era, but I do hope that these final four will rediscover their identites some day.

• Members

My mom watched them, and I watched with her.  I remember the mid 80s for soaps are my earliest memories of the shows.  We were CBS Fans- YR, Capitol, BB, ATWT,  but I did not watch GL until I was in High School.

My earliest memories were Jill being Shot, Lauren being buried alive, and the Amy, Jazz, Tyrone story.  I remember B&B from the beginning, ATWT- The earliest I remember were when Lily found out she was Iva's daughter.  And Capitol I remember Jess Walton being on the show, and Marj Dusay, but I don't remember what was going with their characters.

• Members

LOL I was doomed very early on—My mother claimed Nadia’s Theme was my lullaby whenever it came on, and of course by the late 80’s and early 90s as I got older I was surfing between six different soaps. 

My mother’s main soaps were Y&R, Days, and AMC/Loving. Never got much into AMC but Loving interested me. Now for a certain Grandma she was always fussing about ATWT and GL LOL. And she fussed about SFT as well as her and my great grandma’s favorite show Edge of Night. Especially since USA was running reruns at that time in the late 80’s. Later Grandma did finally become a Y&R and B&B addict to this day by 1992/93 or so.