Look into the past - 1975

• Members

Pamela quit the show and they were going to recast, but decided against it, not sure why, maybe Bill Bell was tired of the constant recasts. But yeah Peggy could have been a good side character through the 80's with Paul. She seemed to love investigative journalism would have meshed well with Paul's business.

I think if Janice Lynde was still in the role, we would have seen Leslie come into her own more and be a slightly different woman with more of a backbone and edge. You can sort of see this in the few eps we have with Janice, I think that version of Leslie would have worked post 82. However Leslie seemed almost to regress with the recast in 77, hence the second stab at a pymalion story when she had amnesia and met Jonas, playing out the 73-74 pygmalion story with Leslie and Brad. This was Victoria and Leslie's chance to take up where Janice's Leslie had left off, but it seems Bell never quite pushed her there and maybe Victoria was better at playing the put upon heroine. I think Bell tried to keep Leslie, but she just didn't fit at that point.

Chris and Snapper were almost done when Sally left town in late 74. They had no real story again until the Becker's turned up in mid-76 and even then that was really Chris' story. When Trish left in 78, Chris and Snapper again barely had anything to do but play supporting or star in small side stories that would wrap up quickly. They were mostly absent in 1980 and returned full time in 1981, but didn't have any real story again until Sally Maguire returned in Sep 81. That story took us through to Snapper's exit. Not sure why Bell kept Chris, made no sense she would be okay with letting her daughter move to another country without her. I guess that was corrected pretty quickly though.

I mean when they returned in 81 Bell repeated (sort of) a story from 1974. In 74, Chris bought things for the house with money from Stuart, Snapper is upset and in 81 Chris refurnishes the house with money from Stuart and Snapper is upset. The fact he would bring the pair back with a repeated and rather dull story says a lot. It made more sense in their first year of marriage and built context. Don't think it had the same impact the second time around.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Pamela Peters sounds like she did not want to be tied the daily grind of doing a soap and walked several times. If they had recast, I could see Judy Strangis in the role. Janice Lynde could have taken Leslie beyond 1982, but Victoria was dull in the role and was cut loose.

Bill Bell insisted on keeping Chris & Snapper together and it limited their storyline potential. If they had split up, it would have given them story and the audience something to sink their teeth into. It also didn't help that Hasselhoff and Topping lacked the Espy & Stewart chemistry. Hasselhoff also took long periods off to chase after pilots determined to get off the show and have a prime time career.  

• Members

I thought that Pam Peters was put on recurring following the end of the Jack/Peggy story and made a few appearances thereafter before Peggy vanished. Was she given a send off?

Bill brought Peggy back in 79 with Patricia Everly but not sure why as she wasn't given much to do except battle Jill as her stepmother.

Again she vanished.

When the show went to an hour,Peggy was back but was dropped again. I don't think it was her choice?

• Members

From what I gathered, Pam Peters was on the show from March 1973 to September 1977 and she came back from April 1980 to June 1981. I don't know if she was pushed to recurring at the end of her run. It might be.

Patricia Everly was there from December 1978 to March 1979. I wonder if Peters was asked back and she said no.

• Members

Pam Peters was gone a great deal of the time in 1976 and 1977. Anthony Herrera said that at one point, while filming, she looked directly into the camera, announced, "I don't understand this scene!" and simply walked out.

Her absence during Peggy's rape trial (!!!) and during important moments regarding Jennifer Brooks' death suggested to me that the actress had issues on set.

• Members

She didn't even appear during the rape trial ?  She must of had issues if she looked into the camera and stormed off during a live to tape scene. I bet Conboy was pissed about having to re-shoot that. I'm surprised she was asked back to the show in 1980 and again in 1984. 

• Members

Someone did once say Peggy was present when Jennifer died in Sep 77, but the next episode which picked up from the last scene of all the Brooks girls together opened without her in the scene. They had to give some excuse like Peggy couldn't handle it and is in her room or something. I know someone on this board recalled this. I think she wasn't seen again until Pat Everly took over in 79 and Pam didn't return until Apr 80.

@FrenchFan Hi, not sure if you posted May & Jun 1974. For some reason I have Y&R for those months and I have no idea where I got them and why I don't have the other shows. If anyone recognises these and has the other shows, would be great to get them. Anyway for Y&R fans here you go. These means we should have Jan - Aug 74 and Dec 74 missing only Sep - Nov 74

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by will81

• Members

She was there at the beginning of the story, and then sort of "petered out" (yikes, bad pun!) as it went on. 

It was weird. Chris and Snapper were on a vendetta to get rapist Ron Becker, and they became a focal part of the action. Several weeks went by without anyone in the family even saying Peggy's name.

That "someone" might have been me, LOL. Peggy put in a brief appearance on the day that the Brooks sisters gathered at their parents' house when Jennifer died. As the other three sisters were comforting each other, we saw Peggy running out of the living room. That was at the end of one episode. At the beginning of the next one, Chris asked, "Where's Peg?" Lorie replied that Peggy was unable to handle the situation, and had left.

It was quite...glaring that the actress/character was not used throughout the saga surrounding her mother's death. All the other sisters were featured prominently. (Pam Peters had appeared on another episode a while earlier, on the day of Stuart's and Jennifer's 30th wedding anniversary, however.)

She appeared at the beginning of the trial, but was glaringly absent later on as the story unfolded. I always wondered if TPTB gave her another chance in later years because SO MANY of the original actors were leaving, and the show needed familiar faces on board. Patricia Everly was a dud. (Aside from Jess Walton, Y&R did not have a lot of success recasting core characters.)

Actually, another thing that bothered me about Peggy's rape trial: the courtroom was basically empty. Chris was there one day when she came to testify, but in general, none of Peggy's family attended. I was used to the P&G soaps, which always had the courthouse benches packed with familiar characters whenever there was a trial. I wondered if it was a budget consideration for Y&R; if the show did not want to pay for leading actors just to sit silently in the background.

Edited by vetsoapfan