Worst Executive Producer...

• Members

It wasn't just webisodes. There was a full episode devoted to it. I clearly remember watching it.

Come on. They had plenty of time to prepare for the switch. They aired a disastrous Christmas episode in 2007 that tested the new format. It was supposedly set in a mall but they were clearly taping it in the studio and on the studio roof. And it looked nothing like a mall. It would be better to delay the launch of the new format until the problems were resolved rather than launching the new format as they did.

Huh? Exactly how do Conboy and Weston factor into the format change? Conboy and Weston left in 2004, four years before the switch in format and storytelling. The storytelling changed with the format change in 2008. Viewers complained that nothing was happening. It wasn't until later that summer that people online started saying there was an improvement in the storytelling. Conboy and Weston's employment had nothing to do with that.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Okay, in Zimmer's book, the second way Wheeler came up with to celebrate the 70th anniversary was GL Gives Back where the show would show its appreciation to the fans. (The first had been the special epis that Wheeler & Kreizman came up with, Wednesdays, when characters would show off their light.) The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, Biloxi, Mississippi, taping a special epi, in place of a regular epi, rebuilding homes with the HandsOn Network. Now, this epi would be doing what is called breaking the fourth wall. I felt so strongly about this that I did not want to take part. Breaking the fourth wall, I would be Kim. I wanted to stay Reva. When Wheeler called me into her office to ask me why, about this, I was honest. I told her. "Lots of meetings took place before it was decided that the episode would be shot but would air only as a Web series on a Guiding Light-inspired Web site, findyourlight.net."

• Members

Despite what Zimmer said in her book, I can assure you an episode aired on CBS television in February 2007. Search for it on You Tube. It's there. Yes, there were webisodes, but GL devoted an entire episode to show their volunteerism. And Zimmer is featured in the episode.

Total speculation, but I wonder if the experience documenting the volunteerism with handheld cameras is what gave Wheeler the idea for the 2008 revamp.

• Members

I believe you. It seemed like Kim got really into what they were planning despite the fact that up front she was dragging her feet about it! I just wanted to find it in the book because I knew it was there & that there had been a discussion. I'm just too stubborn not to go look for the passage, LOL.

That's some good speculation there. Does the time work out? When was the anniversary?

• Members

Ellen Wheeler had plenty of time to prepare for the new production model, she was just a horrible, horrible producer. ATWT used the same cameras and that show looked fabulous with their outdoor shoots blending in nicely with the studio work. GL had a gift with the ability to have standing sets and a town to film in, but they clearly picked the wrong town and also the writing was so bad that it didn't help things. Also when it began there were so many odd scenes set on the side of the road next to a bunch of damn bushes. It was just bizarre. Then the shaky cameras. No reason they had to make things as cheesy and cheap as they did. They really could've benefited from hiring a UK soap writer who understands how to write for a soap with standing sets and outdoor shooting. Trying to tell the same ole US soap style stories and show glamour was a stretch.

Edited by Chris B

• Members

thanks

I don't think that they did have time. But, I also think that we're not going to agree. For example, I think Goutman did a terrible job as EP at ATWT. I was hugely disappointed in him. And ATWT had much more time than GL did. But, I think GL's writing was brilliant. Otalia & Jammy were internationally famous.

• Members

@Donna B I agree that Chris Goutman did a horrible job with the exception of the production aspect of the show. I loved the sets and the lighting and the outdoor sets and location shooting. Considering they had a lower budget he did a good job of not making the show look cheap. Now on the other hand I hate how he treated the cast (especially Martha Byrne) and his lack of respect for the history of the show. But I still fail to see how Ellen Wheeler had no time when they gradually started adding in location footage with those cameras and did test episodes prior to officially launching it. And then I remember when it launched they didn't even have any stories going. The show was just treading water and letting the viewers drift away. Yes they had a good pairing here and there, but overall the show was horribly written in those later years. 

• Members

So @ChrisB we disagree on some & yet we agree on some. It's true that in the beginning Wheeler's team wasn't ready with new writing to go with the new production model. But, they got that writing going & it was terrific. Kreizman, Gold, Chris Dunn, Jil Lorie hurst, Donna Swajeski, Karen Harris, they had a strong Writing team & they tackled great subjects. But, everything I know about what was going on behind the scenes is that they did not have time to prepare the physical side of the new production model & that they had to learn OJT. They learned how to do what they were doing as they rolled out the new production model. I blame CBS for that.

• Members

According to Entertainment Weekly, they had more than a year to research and plan for the change. That’s plenty of time to prepare. And World Turns did not have much more time than GL. That’s just not true. GL ended in September and CBS announced it was canceling ATWT two months later.

• Members

I think that's where I would be dubious of EW's reportage. But, it is true that they, where they is PGP/Televest by that time, announced about World Turns very soon after GL. So, we both agree and disagree here, too.

I agree with you all the way and thank GOD he only had 2 years!

• Members

VR, We have to come to some meeting of the minds. I am a human being & I  make mistakes at times. Most of the time I do not. Here, for example, everyone but Karen Harris is on the GL writing team. I have blog sheets for each of them. This is an error & I have to remove Karen's sheet. Karen wrote for GH, WGA West, Life in General a web series that is hilarious, non-daytime television shows, AMC and PC. Doing the best you can & correcting errors when you find them is not an issue of embarrassment.