The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

Drew

• Members

OK - i just saw this today...It was just ok:

Good - The cast actually was great. The performances were believable and lots of tears....the son and eldest daughter were the best.

Bad - I hated the ending...they are still f'ed. They have no trailer, and there is no way they will all walk the miles and miles and MILES to safety with no water or food. They will end up dying, so it makes the entire thing pointless. Oh and they obviously didn't kill all the mutants.

Oh - I was also annoyed that they kept complaining how hot it was in the desert, yet they all had jeans, long sleeves, and sweatshirts. That totally didn't make sense.

It was gross and if that is your thing, then this really was a good movie in that sense. I personally though Hostel was more gross and violent and vomit-inducing....I guess after seeing that movie, nothing can phase me anymore...lol.

2 people did walk out pretty early on...but there were a total of like 10 people in the theater with me.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i was a bit miffed at that. They could have walked back in to the gas station like the father did. But once we started zooming out I knew they were screwed, and soon enough we were watching through the binoculars again.

but hey ... The Hills Still Have Eyes (2008)

• Members

so ... I'd say this thread has definitely gone in the spoiler direction. So, if you havent seen it yet, don't read any more of my post or you're just ruining your experience. You have to see this not knowing the outcome.

The trailer scene was what really sold the movie. Yes, you don't have to be gory to be scary if you set the mood right. But ya know, they did set that mood ... and they put on a show that was not only gory but down right disturbing. That's what pushed the movie over the edge of scary! Cause you're sitting there for 2 hours, you are invested in all these people because of the great cast, you are scared right along with them cause of how creepy the setting is, and then you have to watch these poor people suffer such horrors. They are truely brutalized by the end of the film.

So, when the trailer scene finally came, it was just such a shock. Emilie de Ravin's rape scene was horrific. The already mentioned bird eating was sickening. Then, when the elder sister has the one mutant sucking her breast for milk it was just .... whoa, I was just stunned. Then after she attacked him with the screwdriver and he shot her in the head (out of camera view) I almost cried for her. I was so emotionally involved, and they way they had him so slowly aim the gun at her, giving you time to scream "no no no no!" just made it so much worse.

I just cannot rave enough about how great of a horror movie this was. Without a doubt, the greatest to come out in years. I am already dying for the unedited DVD release.

• Members

hehe. See, if anyone had doubts on if they should be there, or if their kids should have been there - the teaser act before the opening credits should have been the dead giveaway. :lol:

The creepy men in the radiation suits scaning the creepy desert for radiation, taking samples, suddenly having their heads bashed open, and generally ripped apart by unseen forces. Only then to be hooked up by chains to a truck with their corpses dragged along the desert, bouncing off the large rocks. :o

I certainly hope so! I want to see a continuation with Aaron Stanford, Emilie de Ravin and Dan Byrd. Maybe a meeting up with more strandees.

• Members

Vinessa Shaw's face as the mutant is 'milking' her breast is horrifying. I totally thought they'd let her survive - I thought that the ones to survive would be Brenda, Bobby, Lynne and Doug. Lynne's death was the most poignant of all, as she basically saved her baby and helped to save Brenda.

The ending was a bit of a letdown... I guess they could have just walked back to the gas station, if they all stayed together they could possibly survive, but it was just annoying to think that it wasn't really over. I hope there isn't a sequel, there really wouldn't be a point - what story can they tell? Surely they wouldn't remake the original's sequel.

• Members

Just saw it... One thing... I was kind of shaking too so I kind of agree with Drew but the shake was more out of suspense and not fear. This movie is suspensful and very edgy which works wonders. LOVED Emile Da Ravin! So weird seeing "Claire" without her accent!! I would definitely recommend this movie. It's worth the movie ticket... definitely one for the thrills. I wonder if the 2 will acually happen...

I saw worse on the Excorsist which was more realistic. If you're going to watch a horror movie you should expect it.. I can see how you would find it sick but I've seen sicker... I didn't think of it is "just for the thrills" either.. they were sick...

And yeah the milking part and the pseudo (I hope it was pseudo) rape was horrific. Emily Da Ravin was brilliant in those parts!! What I liked about the movie was that it wasn't about brief sequences trying to scare there was intensity and portions that had you rooting for people and wanting to see how things turned out. (Which is rare for scary movies or the slasher flicks).

Archived