Jump to content

Early Soap Episodes


Skylover

Recommended Posts

  • Members

There are episodes here and there of the early television soaps, but nothing in terms of long strings of episodes. I think the closest may be a series of episodes from "Hawkins Falls," a forgotten series that aired for several years on NBC. There are definitely episodes of "Love of Life," "Search for Tomorrow," "The Secret Storm," and "Valiant Lady" on youtube unless there has been a recent purge. 

 

On the "Guiding Light" thread, I mentioned the Old Time Radio Researcher's Library. They have a bunch of episodes. I also think there is about a year's worth of "Lover's Lane" on youtube. There is a radio soap thread on here somewhere. @DRW50 usually is good about contributing information there. 

 

I believe you are from Australia, correct? They have been releasing radio soap operas that were produced by Grace Gibson Productions for the past several years. I'm hoping they will release the Australian version of "Guiding Light" that they produced for several years. I would love to see how that show deviated from the original source material. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, Edward Skylover said:

Hi

 

I was wondering if much exists of early radio and/or TV soap operas from the 30s/40s/50s?

 

 Many episodes of The Guiding Light's radio years exist. The earliest one I have is from 1940, and there is a long string of consecutive episodes from 1950, available on MP3 CDs. Do a google search and you'll find a plethora of old-time radio soaps.

 

1 hour ago, dc11786 said:

There are episodes here and there of the early television soaps, but nothing in terms of long strings of episodes. I think the closest may be a series of episodes from "Hawkins Falls," a forgotten series that aired for several years on NBC. There are definitely episodes of "Love of Life," "Search for Tomorrow," "The Secret Storm," and "Valiant Lady" on youtube unless there has been a recent purge. 

 

On the "Guiding Light" thread, I mentioned the Old Time Radio Researcher's Library. They have a bunch of episodes. I also think there is about a year's worth of "Lover's Lane" on youtube. There is a radio soap thread on here somewhere. @DRW50 usually is good about contributing information there. 

 

I believe you are from Australia, correct? They have been releasing radio soap operas that were produced by Grace Gibson Productions for the past several years. I'm hoping they will release the Australian version of "Guiding Light" that they produced for several years. I would love to see how that show deviated from the original source material. 

 

Several episodes are on youtube and floating around among collectors of DAYS' first few years. There are many eps of SFT and TGL from 1966, which are in chronological order. The more one searches the web for stuff, the more you find.

Please register in order to view this content

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I'm listening to the excellent podcast "A Trip Down Soap Lane" and he is currently reviewing the history of Days of Our Lives  The podcast contains audio clips from the early 1960's that he credits from some legacy type resource.  I would be eager to investigate it, but I recommend the podcast for anyone interested in soap history.  It is well produced and researched, also the host is very charming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

 

 Many episodes of The Guiding Light's radio years exist. The earliest one I have is from 1940, and there is a long string of consecutive episodes from 1950, available on MP3 CDs. Do a google search and you'll find a plethora of old-time radio soaps.

 

 

Several episodes are on youtube and floating around among collectors of DAYS' first few years. There are many eps of SFT and TGL from 1966, which are in chronological order. The more one searches the web for stuff, the more you find.

Please register in order to view this content

That’s why I think 73-79 Y&R is all online somewhere but we just haven’t found the right website where those videos are collecting dust 😁😁😁 I’m probably delusional...lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
9 hours ago, dc11786 said:

On the "Guiding Light" thread, I mentioned the Old Time Radio Researcher's Library. They have a bunch of episodes. I also think there is about a year's worth of "Lover's Lane" on youtube. There is a radio soap thread on here somewhere. @DRW50 usually is good about contributing information there.

 

Cool thanks.

 

9 hours ago, dc11786 said:

I believe you are from Australia, correct? They have been releasing radio soap operas that were produced by Grace Gibson Productions for the past several years. I'm hoping they will release the Australian version of "Guiding Light" that they produced for several years. I would love to see how that show deviated from the original source material. 

 

UK. I didn't know Australia did their own version of GL!

 

7 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

Several episodes are on youtube and floating around among collectors of DAYS' first few years. There are many eps of SFT and TGL from 1966, which are in chronological order. The more one searches the web for stuff, the more you find.

Please register in order to view this content

 

Is there anything of Days 60s episodes left floating around?

 

7 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

Many episodes of The Guiding Light's radio years exist. The earliest one I have is from 1940, and there is a long string of consecutive episodes from 1950, available on MP3 CDs. Do a google search and you'll find a plethora of old-time radio soaps.

 

Thanks I'll take a look.

 

6 hours ago, j swift said:

I'm listening to the excellent podcast "A Trip Down Soap Lane" and he is currently reviewing the history of Days of Our Lives  The podcast contains audio clips from the early 1960's that he credits from some legacy type resource.  I would be eager to investigate it, but I recommend the podcast for anyone interested in soap history.  It is well produced and researched, also the host is very charming.

 

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy