What to Watch on Streaming (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.)

Faulkner

• Members

Not sure if there's a thread on this, but I'm watching Netflix and Hulu more and more, even if it's just for old TV series like Cheers and Hill Street Blues. Plus, today Amazon Prime Video just launched on Apple TV, so I'm more inclined to watch it now. I'm in the market for more suggestions on what to sample. So feel free to post movies, classic TV shows, original series and other little-known titles you enjoy on the streaming sites.  

I've been obsessed with this Japanese Netflix reality series titled Terrace House. On its face, it's a typical show about six young and attractive singles living together while looking for love, but it's refreshingly free of the contrived drama and cattiness of American reality series. Like people actually solve conflicts and respect each other like grown-ass adults without sacrificing entertainment value! The real X Factor of the show is a panel of comedians who break into the action from time to time to talk sh!t and provide welcome commentary about the houseguests.

The cast members come and go from the house regularly, so the dynamic stays interesting. And if you have the smallest fascination with Japanese culture and etiquette, it's worth checking out.

The first available season is Boys and Girls in the City set in Tokyo, which is much better than the next season Aloha State in Hawaii. A new season in currently filming in Japan.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a fan of biopics and documentaries, especially related to music. I just finished watching 'Hired Gun' on Netflix, which focuses on studio musicians and many of the artists they've played for over the decades.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bBXZrCmwZw

It's really done well because it covers a number of generations, everything from Pink! to Metallica and Alice Cooper. There's one artist prominently discussed and it changed my opinion of him.

I highly recommend it.

• Members

Very cool! I'll check it out. I like podcasts about musicians telling their own stories like Song Exploder and And the Writer Is..., so this looks right up my alley. 

On Netflix, I just started watching the Tom Petty documentary "Runnin' Down a Dream" directed by Peter Bogdanovich. It's long (nearly four hours), but it has some great interviews and performances.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just saw Paris 5:59: Theo et Hugo, a French gay film on Hulu about two men who hook up at a Paris sex club, and we follow them in real time as they stumble out into the streets dick-drunk and into love. It begins with a long sequence of writhing bodies at the sex club, and it's extremely explicit, but what comes next is more profound, finely observed, and deeply romantic than anything I've seen in recent memory. Highly recommended.

Archived