Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

+1

The expectations are/were so high for SS/KA, that there's no way that they will satisfy everyone.  I believe that they have made a huge impact in quite a short period of time, more so than any other regime change in recent history.  

Is the show perfect?  No.  There is work left to do, but it will never be perfect.  I do think that this regime is the best we can hope for to get us somewhat closer to Bell's show.

I wonder if the people complaining that it's "boring" have been soap-brainwashed by over 10 years of catastrophe after catastrophe, irrational characterizations and publicity stunts.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He the one who made her interesting. Alex made her interesting. Her going on the run makes her interesting. When Dru smack the [!@#$%^&*] out of her made her interesting. All these things she was being the victim in, made her interesting.

• Members

Hilary and Devon were out if their bubble when this GC buzz story started. They were rarely interacting with neil and lily. But the Christmas holiday and this accident brought them back in each others orbit. 

I agree about Abby. She needs something to do and having her be the voice of reason would give the interactions more layers. 

• Members

Who asked for Y&R to be perfect?

Many viewers fully understand what the extensive damage the revolving door of headwriters has done to this show. But at lot of valid critique being discussed here is about the accuracy of the writing & how little change is actually really happening.

Don't make a huge fuss about this new regime "bringing back to Y&R to its roots" then get mad because viewers are rightfully critiquing the current regimes flaws. You can't have it both ways.

• Members

The question isn't whether the show is perfect because it's far from it - it's whether it's progressing or has moved in a better direction. I think it has. A soap working to make changes on a systemic and character-based level, however slow but measured, is a rarity in this day and age. I think there have been swift and obvious changes as well as slower ones. And I think it's worthwhile to acknowledge positive change happening.

Nothing is ever going to match up to a subjective or ideal version of sweeping change that we cultivate inside our own heads. But we should be willing to engage fairly with what does occur as opposed to dismissing it outright.

Archived