Pure Genius: Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...
  • Members

I should be able to completely suspend belief with all the shows I watch since I'm out to be entertained, but when shows dabble in reality I tend to expect more. 

I did not watch all 13 episodes but I watched enough to decide that the show probably would not be renewed.  I don't think the actor playing the lead was a good fit with Dermot Mulrooney who is pretty low key.  The lead needed to be more charismatic so that the arrogance of the character would be tolerable.  A lot hinged on James being a likeable jerk but despite compassionate moments that he shared with some of the patients, he wasn't very endearing.  Even his illness was turned into something selfish instead of a reason to root for him.

The rest of the characters were not really developed.  They gave some background info on them and used them mainly as plot points.  Brenda Song's character was just there to bring a little energy to the tech side and thirst for one of the doctors.  She was finally given some meaningful scenes in the finale but they could not resist turning an emotional moment for her character into an opportunity for her to push a romantic agenda. 

But the worst was by far the tech titan's crush on a doctor and how they waited until they wrote her into a relationship with another doctor, to have James make his move.  She rejected him but sadly the nonsense did not end there.  They immediately stepped on her brand new relationship by trying to create a triangle out of nowhere with some random connection with James and silly jealousy from her new boyfriend.

This hospital used technology to basically spy on people so they could get to emergencies before they were reported.  It would be great if the show were based in an alternate universe.  The tech guy always seemed to know how to solve the medical problems better than the actual doctors.  Except for two patients who were left unresolved in the finale, every patient left cured no matter how terrible or complicated the illness.  There really was no drama because you knew that things would be fine before the show ended.  Maybe that's why the writers felt the need to try to manufacture romantic drama but that was a fail because James was just not that guy.

• Members

Reshma Shetty was the main reason I tuned in. Loved her as Divia on Royal Pains.  A lot of the stories were OTT, and Dermot Mulroney was never a favorite.  Wendy Moniz was wasted as the angry wife. Prew was a little too green for the lead. I'm all for up and coming actors getting roles, but I tuned in for most of the episodes.

It wasn't the worst the season had to offer, but it was nowhere near the best shows of the new season.

Archived