Happy 50th Anniversary 'Days Of Our Lives'

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Happy Days 50.  I can't even put into words what the show means to me.  All of the memories.  And memories of my Mom and Grandmother- who loved the show.  Great memories like the always classic Kristen wedding to John with Susan surprising us.  Or Vivien burying Carly alive.  Both Carrie's and Sami's weddings to Austin.  My God- the memories.  Princess Gina, Marlena in the pit.  The Sami/Nicole baby switch story.  All classics. Congratulations and many more.

• Members

These two are going to live forever. Forever. And after all these years, they have such love and adoration for each other. It's quite remarkable, both onscreen and off.

Days of Our Lives was my savior during my adolescent and teen years. I'm so glad I stumbled upon it randomly one summer day, when they were promoting the possession storyline, and I had to know what the HECK that was about! Although I only caught the very tail end of it (Marlena and John in the morgue), I immediately became attached to such storylines as Carrie/Austin/Sami (Sami coming home during their wedding and announcing she was pregnant and Austin was the daddy), as well as Hope/Bo/Billie (Hope had just opened Tom Horton's puzzlebox, and later at the shooting range flash backed to all her memories as Hope).

The Aremid storyline will forever be my all-time favorite DAYS story arc. The stakes were high (John on death row, Hope in the avalanche, Stefano regaining his memory and Marlena attempting to seduce him to get a hold of the infamous diary), the mood was dark, gothic, thrilling escapism. The production values were gorgeous for a soap. Back in Salem, you had Sami clutching onto Austin, and Kate clawing her way back from the fishing boat to find Victor just as he was about to bed Vivian.... The Lady in White, The Parrot Man, Kristen doubting John's innocence, Jenn & Peter's lavish wedding, Bo & Hope getting closer, Marlena and John's deep feelings for one another resurfacing, Lexie learning that Celeste was her ma and Stefano was her pa. Just excellent, excellent stuff. 1996 as a whole was just a fantastic year, IMO, from January in Aremid all the way through December, with Kristen meeting Susan and Austin mowing down Sami with his car.

There have been lots of ups and downs throughout the years, and sometimes I think the DAYS that I knew never recovered after Reilly's second stint (2003-2007), but there's still sparkling moments from time to time, and their recent turnaround has been a welcome treat. After daytime lost four soaps in the course of 3 years, I make it a point to stick with DAYS until the sands stop running through the hourglass. Though watching the show with excitement rather than as a chore is much preferred! :)

Archived