GH: Exclusive Exit Interview: Anthony Geary Leaves With All Guns Blazing

• Members

Im sure Jean Passanante will get the job and they'll hire Christopher Goutman as EP. Jean will copy successful stories from the past or present on B&B and call them her own until Chris' ego emerges and he takes over as HW and hires JP to reprise the role of Juicy Janet on PC the long lost sister of Maura West's character.

All that said I can't wait to hear the news RC has been fired as HW of GH.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A new headwriter, an old headwriter, a resurrected Bill Bell and Irna Phillip, Agnes Nixon in her prime, none of these things would fix what GH and daytime has become. The business is broken. The model, the structure, the production, it's a mess.

It's been a solid decade of throwing new producers or writers at these shows and none of it has worked. They're trying to work too fast and too loose to keep costs down and turn out high. All they have the actors do is spit out lines and move on. There's no character or world-building going on here. They're just trying to keep their heads above water and stay somewhat comfortable in a genre they've murdered.

Nothing lasts forever.

• Members

They never modernize or change. I forget who said it, maybe Tristan Rogers, that all the soaps today are still following Monty's formula. She changed soaps but none of them ever changed them again. To put it another way in 1978 when Monty arrived at GH the state of the art drama series at night were things like Lou Grant, Quincy and The Rockford Files. Today prime time has amazing advances in technology and the material covered, and soaps are still telling stories about babies with two people trading dialogue in a poorly lit room and maybe a plant.

• Members

There's no denying any of this. Still, I didn't dislike RC as much as many people here. I always felt there was potential there, it just never came to fruition the way I hoped it would. The OLTL three debacle really poisoned the waters.

• Members

At first, I didn't think that the "OLTL Three Debacle", really hurt that much. All of the "OLTL Three", after they became different characters, were all connected with Ava a successful new character, in one way or another. I had thought all was okay. What then went wrong exactly? I think most of the membership here have expressed what went wrong without me repeating it all over again. I just hope TPTB at GH or someone at the show who has the finger on the pulse of what the fans are looking for reads this message board. The answers are here, if they care to face them head on.

• Members

I disagree. They haven't been throwing new producers or new writers at the soaps. They keep hiring the same producers and writers over and over and just keep jumping from soap to soap. How many soaps has JFP worked at? She gets fired from one soap and then another one hires her. It boggles my mind! The genre needs to some new blood desperately. Think outside the box. Hire some new people. Otherwise, the genre will die.

• Members

I really liked his writing at times and other times I just could not watch. I think he lost his way last year after Robin left and then he flailed around looking for dull stories starring characters and actors who aren't really a part of GH. I did like the Fluke story and loved the episode where Luke met Fluke. Once TG left for six months the show had no other story to rely on and dramatically fell apart. The reliance on the cast of Y&R didn't help, and the show struck out big time with Ava. When the show had a bunch of villains on providing story I found it entertaining. When RC adopted the Guza style of just having people show up on screen to discuss the state of their relationships it was dull. Bringing back Jason was a fatal mistake I think as the show is obligated to devote so much time to that character even if he has no story.

RC does have a tendency to want to write silly attempts at comedy, but his comedy writing isn't really funny and that's a deal breaker. Making Franco serially obnoxious is not funny. RC clearly felt Franco was a riot.

Archived