HIV epidemic in Austin Indiana

• Members

“I thought it was just a homosexual disease,” the woman said one recent evening, twisting a tissue in her manicured hands as tears filled her eyes.

- from the New York Times

Words like these are truly confounding and dispiriting to hear. I thought we were past this type of thinking after the revelations of the 1990s.sad.png

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/06/us/rural-indiana-struggles-to-contend-with-hiv-outbreak.html?module=ArrowsNav&contentCollection=U.S.&action=keypress&region=FixedLeft&pgtype=article

I kind of parallel these views expressed by people in this town and compare them to the finger wagging many Americans did to Africans during the ebola epidemic, referencing the Third World as if ignorance was only to be found there. Well, clearly ignorance can be found everywhere. The need for education and attention is a must.

I'm many thousands of miles away from Indiana but hearing these views expressed in this article, not in the 80s or 90s but in the 21st century, kind of scares me for some reason.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He reluctantly signed this, but was happy to sign the discrimination bill? This man's priorities are seriously screwed up, he has no business being in a position of leadership.

I'm really surprised that the press even published such a story and in detail. It goes against the idea that only urban, minority areas have drug problems.

• Members

Indiana cut public health funds so it isn't remotely surprising. They also had a tuberculosis outbreak in one school. It's funny how whenever there's a disaster somewhere evangelicals like to say that it's because of abortion or gay marriage yet they don't think that when something bad happens to them.

• Members

And if their parents talked to them that did not work either. And if the parents did not want them to know about sex then that's another issue altogether. Maybe they all learned a lesson and will consider a different approach or maybe they'll use this as a see what happens example.

• Members

I hope so, Wales. But somehow I don't think this is going to make a difference. Not one bit. This will be probably be treated with prayer and nothing more.

Regarding Indiana. I wish I could say that it surprised me. My brother and his bible-thumping wife live in that state and are very happy with the governor. They feel he was right on "religious freedom" and disagree with needle-exchange programs because they subscribe to the belief it promotes drug use. Like free condoms make people screw their brains out. unsure.png

It's scary that people think HIV is a gay disease. It's even scarier when there are (so-called) educated people that think the same thing.

• Members

You reap what you sow. I read that a lot of the HIV testing was done by planned parenthood, but of course their Einstein governor shut that down. This is what happens when your state is run by right wing nutjobs. The state is nothing more than a republican lab test for all conservative theories and clearly we see the result. Mazel Tov, Indiana, enjoy your deaths.

• Members

Maybe some might remain rigid but I cannot imagine every parent thinking that prayer alone is the answer. I know some people seem to use it as though it were some magical incantation meant to fix everything but I don't even think they all believe that.

Being a Christian is hard and "Super-Christians" like to judge and point out faults as well as taking a simplistic approach to anything that's too complicated for them to mentally work out. I had a friend who convinced herself that she was a better Christian than the rest of us and she would send me web links to articles that were meant to help me realize what an evil sort I was, such as the origins of evil rock music (all because I shamelessly listen to secular music).

I fully understand that the concept of people doing something upon which Christians may frown as a sticking point but the legalization of certain things does not mean people are going to be forced to participate in those things. Every 21 year old does not have to drink alcohol and every pregnant woman is not going to have an abortion just because it's legal in the state in which she resides.

I can understand not wanting to attend a church where hypodermic needles and condoms are being given out if the minister is talking out of both sides of his mouth on the subject. It would be like his handing out cards to an online cheating site after saying adultery is a sin. But I do not get why someone would object to those items being handed out at other locations as a matter of public health and safety. I know the whole "don't use drugs but here's needle" thing is problematic. Reality doesn't always come with a pretty bow though.

• Members

I lived near that area for awhile last year. There were and are some great people there, and my heart breaks to see them go through this.

That homosexual disease quote makes my blood boil, though.

I have quite a few friends from my time in Indiana last year, and more from my early childhood, as I was born in Bloomington (the liberal capital of Indiana, thank you very much--and yes, that IS a compliment :P), and my parents have family friends there. More than anything I need Mike Pence to lose next year*. Every once in awhile a Democrat can get elected to statewide office in Indiana, enough people in the state have been embarrassed by RFRA where it just happen again; Joe Donnelly was just elected to the Senate in 2012. Granted, Richard Mourdock, his opponent, torpedoed himself with his abortion comments, but still.

*Unless he decides not to run for reelection and actually thinks he still might have a chance at being president. Which, lol no bye.

Archived