Y&R: Chuck Pratt previews "Major Storm" & more

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for the link.

So many of these "interviews" are smoke blowing up the you know what and revealing pretty much nothing.

And the problem is that they think "everyday should be a Friday". Yes, yes it should. But the problem with that is you lose beats that should be played and you LOSE character rushing from cliffhanger to cliffhanger. IMO. It's one of GH's biggest problems at the moment. It's all about how much can we "shock" the audience instead of trying to tell a good story. Naturally shocking moments should come from that, not let's have a shocking moment and find a way to build towards them.

• Members

He can talk about character all he wants. We all know what went down at AMC when the cast was told what they were told. He was probably coached on what to say. He of course had to bring up Bill Bell's name which will "prove" he "cares". We shall see the damage he does.

• Members

I'd like to ask these hacks exactly what the "primetime" feel is.

What does that mean?

Does it mean that when you fantasize you're writing for NYPD Blue (20 years too late...) it gets you hard, and knowing you're instead writing for a show mostly watched by women and gay men makes you shrivel up?

• Members

I'm with ya Carl. Just what is "the primetime feel" they always keep insisting they want the show to be. I'd love nothing more than to see the quality writing and production values we get on most primetime shows now. But we all know that's not happening. Heck, online AMC and OLTL had better writing and production values (maybe hit or miss to some but to me it was a huge step up). And both felt more "primetime" than any soap on the networks has.

• Members

These HW and execs need to stop worrying about putting primetime into daytime and start worrying about what it means to write a good continuing story.

From Irna Phillips to the Dobsons, Harding Lemay, Douglas Marland, Agnes Nixon, and Bill Bell Sr. and etc-- I doubt they were obsessing about getting their shows to fit the primetime mold. I think they might have been more concerned with writing good, compelling continuing drama.

Today's soap writers want to 'aspire' to primetime status but they should look at the type of writing they are shovelling out for these shows. When one of them starts penning stories resembling Henry Slesar's work, that's when they can talk about primetime aspirations.

Archived