The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Mitchapalooza

• Members

I just saw The Exorcism of Emily Rose and I though the movie was brilliant. It wasn't just a typical scary movie it was actually smart and had a real story to tell.

IMO Jennifer Carpenter delivered an Oscar worthy performance playing the possessed and tormented Emily Rose in the movie. It also scared the [!@#$%^&*] out of me mostly because of demonic elements in it.

IMO one of the most disturbing parts was when she was gathering those spiders together and eating them, then she was doing some standingup/sitting down [!@#$%^&*] on this wall, :o

Good movie, good script too and GREAT performances (especially from Laura Linney and Jennifer Carpenter).

If you are looking for a good scare and don't want to see a movie that will insult your intelligence, go see this, its pretty good.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See at first I was a little afraid to go see it because it for the most part got mediocre reviews (except from Ebert and Roeper who gave it two thumbs up) but after almost everyone I know who has seen just RAVED about it I decided to go and was very surprised to enjoy it.

Sometimes I feel the critics don't know what they are talking about.

• Members

I think Emily is excellent. A thriller with a little more going on. I really liked the possesion/exorcism scenes, and that they weren't so far out there. It added to the realism and the story.

Still get the chills when I think about the scene when her boyfriend wakes up in her room, and she is on the floor all contorted looking up at him. Jesus.

• Members

This movie is awesome. I too got the chills when Emily's bf woke up and he see's her on the floor looking at him with cold dark eyes and all contorted!! When that scene appeared i let out a loud gasp and "oh my God"..then when he went closer and she screamed or whatever..man..i screamed like hell!! Freaked everyone out around me..people screamed like crazy!! LOL!! Laura Linney was terrific. I hope she gets an Oscar and Golden Globe nomination for her role. Jennifer Carpenter and Tom Wilkinsen were amazing as well. I hope this film gets some good recognition. On the Special Edition of Carrie...Sissy and Piper said they were shocked that they recieved Oscar noms because the Academy doesn't nominate roles from horror movies.Well The Exorcist recieved noms for Best Actress..and Supporting Actress and Actor. So lets hope Laura will recieve something. This movie is deadly!! Go see it people.

• Members

I'm sorry, I have to disagree. I thought that, as a scary movie, Emily Rose sucked completely. There was barely any scary things that happened throughout the entire film. I got so sick of the court case. I do have to say that Laura Linney gave a kick ass performance though.

Michael

• Members

Perhaps you didn't enjoy it because of the demonic aspects, not everyone gets scared of things like those.

Several people who I went to see the re-release of The Exorcist on the big screen a few years ago, laughed during the exorcism scenes, for me they were creepy and disturbing.

• Members

Yes Mitch they were creepy scenes. The swearing in that movie is funny. I remember when i seen that movie when i was a kid. Scared the [!@#$%^&*] out of me. I had nightmares for a week. It still scares me a bit to this day..however now i sometimes laugh and shake my head at the dialogue. I love The Exorcist. It is one of my all time faves.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Well it didn't scare the crap outta me, which is kinda what I wanted. BUt I have to say, the performances were amazing. Kept me watching throughout the movie. In fact I was paying so close attention that I actually noticed when Jennifer Carpenter (who was damn good btw) mispronounced "relevant" as "revelant" :lol: .

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I finally saw Rose and thought it was fricken scary! The Excorcism to me is one of the scariest movies ever so this one kind of propelled that with the excorcism feel. I like how the movie played out, it wasn't a typical excorcist movie and everything was done so well.

• Members

I have NEVER EVER fallen asleep in the movies before. Until this piece a camel dung came along.

I was so embarrassed. I had the drool-in-the-corner-of-the-mouth-knocked-out sleep-going on. I thought it was so boring. It was nothing I haven't seen before. It was just too slow for me. The only thing that I liked was the actress who played Emily. But not enough to ever see this movie again.

Archived