Soap Opera Pet Peeves

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep! Now that I've had kids, I roll my eyes at the way pregnant characters look on soaps. No one gets fat. No one has swollen feet. They all have this perfect tiny little round belly that never gets huge unless the actress is also pregnant.

• Members

LOL....that's the truth. It's like a hold over from the 50's/60's when they wanted to address pregnancy symptoms. on TV without pissing off viewers. Like Katie on the old 60's sitcom My Three Sons when she got pregnant with the triplets. She kept passing out and then she figured out she might be pregnant. Tina Cole who played Katie even to this day makes fun of how crazy that was.

• Members

Are you refering to the Edward/Skye scene in which he stated meeting JFk?

Thats the only scene that stands out to me that might remotely suggest that he was democrat and I still didnt take that scene that way.

He could have been impressed with the man himself without sharing his political view.

• Members

I guess they figure fainting in soap pregnancies is more palatable to the viewers than morning sickness!! I remember reading that years ago on AW, Vicky and Ryan had a romantic reunion on a beach. Jensen Buchanan was in the early stages of pregnancy at the time, and as soon as the director yelled cut, she ran down the shoreline to throw up. THAT'S something we'd never see on camera!!! LOL

• Members

I hate it when everybody owns a company, and not just a company, but a multimillion-dollar business. When so many characters are businessmen and businesswomen on a soap, it just sucks so much life out of the show. Instead of telling many different types of stories that could come from many different types of professions/careers, we just get more and more convoluted, overdone business "intrigue" stories. I love a good business story, but As the World Turns, for example, should have NEVER EVER EVER been centered on various companies/businesses.

The fact that people hang out in hospitals. Dafuq? I'm inside an actual hospital maybe twice a year. Three times at the most, if someone I know/love is admitted. Yeah, we have tons of doctors in daytime, but still.

I hate it when soaps SORAS all of their kids and then try to act like the time line is the same. Case in point? Bob and Kim celebrating their 25th anniversary in 2010 with their born-in-wedlock son Chris standing there, looking no younger than 35.

Inconsistent SORASing aka The Clusterfuck Known as Days of Our Lives. Heck, yall know I just hate SORAS in general.

Loud and/or constant background music in every scene.

• Members
Yes I hate that. And I hate when character that were newbies in town with no real connections to anyone worth caring about are killed off in a story where the morning is drawn out for days but characters who had a significant role on the show are lucky if they don't just disappear offscreen.

They could at least pour a little bit of water in them. I mean it is realistic to see people walking around with coffee cups because I see that all the time. Even at my job where you aren't supposed to have beverages at your desk. Plus some of those shows have coffee shops sets that are used. But would it kill them to make it look realistic.

Mary Sue/Larry Stu characters aren't a soap opera problem. They are a problem on tv as a whole as well as in books. Its why I end up giving up so many tv shows.

Seeing the word uncast being used instead of the word fired also annoys me. Mostly because its not a word.

I actually hate that everyone seems to know each other in these towns. I mean unless the population in the town is about 50 people everyone does not need to know each other.

Long lost children. Not even cousins but grown ass kids characters conveniently never mentioned.

Sorasing kids in a way that doesn't match the timeline irks me. Like Cam on GH. There's no reason he can't be sorased to teen age. BH's son in real life is almost a teen and Liz was a young mom so its not too much of a stretch. I mean there are plenty of examples on soaps of women playing mother to men they were less than a decade younger than them. I mean General Hospital asks viewers to suspend their belief for a lot worse things. I just hate inconsistent soras. Especially when they constantly reference stories from when said child was a baby through early childhood that played out onscreen.

I agree with not being able to stand characters hanging out at hospitals. My mom works at a hospital and I still only ever go to the hospital once a year and its usually to visit someone who is sick.

Archived