Soap Opera Pet Peeves

• Members

Kendall didn't bother me as much because they were at least trying to set up the story in advance. I hated Greenlee as Jack's kid. Greenlee had a family established, and it worked.

While I loved getting Stuart back, and they tried to make it less sci-fi, and more a medical miracle. I never liked shows that didn't already have sci-fi woven into the tapestry throwing it into a storyline just to make it work. It is also why Josh as Erica's kid didn't work for me either.

Sorasing, I don't love, but unfortunately, kids on soaps are a pain because of labor laws. It is overtop sorasing and/or de-sorasing that bothered me more i.e. Pete on AMC. Pete was born one year later than Jamie, and as kids on the show - JR, Jamie, Pete and Amanda were the same age. In 2002, Jamie and JR were clearly teenagers while Colby was in grade school. It is also why I could never get behind Jake and Amanda as a couple - Jake was a doctor while Amanda was in grade school.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep, that drove me crazy too. Jake was born on the air in the early to mid 70s. Amanda was born in 1992. They're a good 20 years apart and had no business being a couple. The only thing more gross to me was Amanda screwing around with David, who was her dead friend's father. David was old enough to have been paired with Erica, but suddenly he's screwing someone half his age?

Bianca was born in 1988, JR in 1989, Jamie in 1991, and Amanda in 1992. I think Pete was born in 1991 as well, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Colby was born in 1999. Kate/Kathy was born off screen in 2002. AJ and Miranda were born in 2004. Yet somehow Colby and Pete are close in age, and Kathy is still a little kid? The other one that drove me crazy is that in the early 90s, Lily Banning Montgomery was OLDER than Bianca.... yet by 2006, Bianca is an adult with a child of her own, and Lily is still in high school.

• Members

I forgot about Lily and Bianca. Yes, they should have been counter parts. And was there any real reason they weren't, why did Lily still have to be in high school?

Yes, seeing Laura's graduation party, and then having her return for additional credits to get her degree was lame. Laura was never the best student, she could have started at PVU, and had trouble with her courses, and Bianca starts tutoring Laura. It could have easily lead to Bianca's crush on Laura. I still think the biggest mistake in all that was not hooking up Bianca and Laura.

Amanda, in theory, was only about 7 years than Colby (who Jake at one point thought was his child). I just thing Jake and Amanda should have never even looked at each other cross-eyed.

Ellabelle - I believe you have all the birth years correct - Jamie was born in April of 1991 and Pete on Christmas in 1991.

Archived