Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

I've missed some pages from this thread so I have a question: have Hakeem's obvious Mommy issues been discussed? Camilla, Camilla Camilla (lol).

That brief scene with young Andre hiding his Daddy's gun proves that you can efficiently encapsulate the nature of a relationship in just one scene if you do it right without giving all the information. It will be interesting to see whether they show us the trajectory of how Andre got from dutiful, protective son to his current state of mind (although we can kind of figure that one out).

At least they're taking the time to fleshing out these characters. Anika in that shaving scene really does speak to the notion that she may be bougie but she won't need a fainting couch anytime soon. And she really does seem to love Lucious and wants to support him, which is going to actually make me feel for her when Lucious slinks under the covers with Cookie again (which, I've looked forward to from the pilot episode).

Speaking of which,

The chemistry & and the heat coming from Cookie and Lucious is melting the screen! At one point, when Lucious held onto Cookie's finger, I actually thought he was going to try to get her to sit on his lap right there in the office! I'm glad they didn't go there though, it was much better to show him watching her as she walked away, with Cookie knowing he was watching.

I've actually stayed in Bushwick and it's really not that bad especially now with the influence of gentrification. Okay, there are a few parts that are still a bit dicey at night but hey, it's not like it's East New York or anything.

Becky's role within the company will probably increase since she is fully aware of Lucious' illness. Him letting her shadow Titan without any hesitation shows that he trusts her to do a good job, despite her obvious crush on Titan.

I think Cookie's assistant is probably more clever than she's showing right now and it would be interesting if she's trying to downplay that. After all, she did know who Mama Rose from Gypsy was.

Question: Empire, it's not really filmed in NYC, right? I don't really mind it, but seeing Malik Yoba and all reminded me of that vibe that New York Undercover (in the early going) used to give off. If Empire had that...man, oh man...

Still satisfying, though. And again, I like the fact that they are fleshing out other characters like Annika, Tiana and Becky from the early going.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That was a lovely episode. I am SO glad that they slowed down the frantic plot developments a bit and did A LOT of character work.

Jamal started annoying me during the earlier parts of the episode, although his behavior was realistic. Coming down from those extreme luxuries to that dump was clearly not easy. (lol at Cookie and Dora's relationship. I love how she caressed his chin). But I thought the way they visualized him finding his groove/inspiration was excellent. Overall, this was the least interesting part of the episode (weird, considering Jamal/Lyon were THE story last week) but still all necessary character stuff.

They really did excellent work in developing Anika. Her reaction to the news about his ALS and helping him shave brought me close to tears. I have been supporting this bitch since the beginning and have been proven right! laugh.png BOOM, CLAP! I'm glad she has genuine feelings for Lucious and that they showed his concern and worry for her during the drive by shooting.

Cookie and Lucious are literally falling in love again right in front of our eyes and it could not be better.

Tiana and Cookie working together. Hakeem and Cookie working together. YES. Although I really did not like the Tiana actress' work in this episode. Weak link!

Hakeem bitching about Jamal and throwing him under the bus in front of Lucious but then turning to Jamal for advice and support and comfort after he screwed things up. whistling.jpgwhistling.jpg

The Andre/Lucious flashback was unexpected and SO very well done. They showed so much with so little. Lucious and Andre's relationship cannot be underestimated. Andre is basically Lucious' bitch right now but there is a connection there that cannot be ignored.

YES to more Becky.

That ending scene was lovely.

• Members

I thought that was brilliant too. The backstory is expanding in unexpected, wonderful ways. But let's NOT use Lucious' past to justify the fact that he shot somebody so close to him in the face. I know Howard is incredibly charming and we ALL love him, but DAMN. laugh.png If he's all about loyalty, then perhaps he wouldn't have killed Bunky (who also happens to be Cookie's FAVORITE cousin)! nbe.jpg

Definitely not what that was about!

• Members

One of the things that struck me about that young Andre scene is that I was terrified of what that police officer was going to do to him. How sad is it that instead of being afraid that a child is in the room with a gun, it's the police officer that seemed the most dangerous thing in the room?