HBO: True Detective

rhinohide

• Members

tumblr_mzat51LS3c1r3cc8ko1_500.jpg

I didn't see Matthew McConaughey win his Golden Glob for the Dallas Buyer's Club because I was watching him in HBO's new series True Detectives.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/443257-true-detective-premiere-trailer-hbo-shows-cast-led-by-mcconaughey-harrelson/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstjohn/2014/01/13/how-hbos-true-detective-will-change-the-way-you-watch-television/

The first episode was mostly exposition and back story so it was slower than I expected. The pace reminds me of The Killing (AMC), which I also loved, but it's an adjustment if you're accustomed to the rocking Breaking Bad kind of pace. I'm really looking forward to the next episode. Wish I could binge watch.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved it, especially the deliberate pacing. It was all about character and atmosphere. I really wasn't sure what to expect and was kind of dreading seeing more fetishization of the serial killers of women but it's all about the detectives and how this horrific case has affected their lives for decades, at least so far and I hope they stay on that track.

McConaughey has been on a tear recently and this was the best performance I've seen of his. The darkness of the character seems to help pull him out of some of the tics that he used to rely too heavily on, like the incessant smirking. Harrelson was quite good too and I think we'll see just as much darkness from him eventually.

• Members

I watched it. (and because I don't normally have HBO, I'll probably never be able to stay with it) And while I admire the performances (McConahey especially looks as if he's rotting away) the overall tone bothers me. Yes, it's dark and moody---it's also pretentious as all get out. I mean, I knew I was over my head, it took reading an analysis of it to realize how far over my head it was.

• Members

My new favorite show (only two episodes in, of course). I'm not familiar with his work, but the work that MM is doing in this series is great. WH is kind of wearing his character work on his sleeve, but MM is delivering a wonderfully organic character portrait.

• Members

Just watched the pilot (seems I am on an HBO binge today). They did some really excellent character work. It was slow and moody, beautifully shot and put the emphasis on its two leads versus the actual murder (which is a good idea, since the show won't rise and fall based on how exciting or not the plot is).

It was great how it slowly become clear that the separate interviews of Martin and Rust are being conducted because of another case that popped up in 2012. The ending, although not a shock, was full of horrible implications: It seems this murder has haunted these people for years and they might have caught the wrong guy!

There will be eight episodes.

As for the format of the show, apparently

• Members

It's a bit slow for me, and I would rather there be more emphasis on the actual murder(s). It continues to remind me of The Killing, which I liked a lot and was also very character driven, but I feel like there is too much exposition in the interviews. It's obvious to me that the new detectives think Cohle is the real murderer, and he manipulated the investigation to cover his tracks.

• Members

Wow, really? Is that something that happened in the second episode? Because I didn't get that at all from the pilot. I hope this is not the type of show that will do something like this--have him be doubted, sure. But hopefully nothing more.

• Members

I caught up on this. It is has potential, but is insanely slow. I agree it is obvious from their questions that the modern day detectives suspect Cohle of being the murderer in the latest murder or in all murders. This is exactly my problem. Cohle is clearly the better detective and has seemed to have figured this out already so why hasn't he confronted them and presented his defense. Why is he rambling on? Of course, since it is so obvious either Hart or someone we have not met yet will turn out to be the accomplice of the person who committed the earlier murders.

• Members

I thought the second episode felt a lot less slow than the first. Perhaps it's because I knew what to expect in terms of pace. They could afford to take some of the air out, but that hot, southern, deliberate pace seems intentional. One thing I'll say though, I pay close attention while watching because while I love the show, it's not the type of program I have the patience to watch each episode two and three times if I miss something.

Who is the actress playing Woody's mistress? ph34r.png

Archived