Which Literary Classic Would You Adapt to Series?

Khan

• Members

Right now on TV, we have series inspired by such literary works as "The Count of Monte Cristo" ("Revenge"), "Alice in Wonderland" ("Once Upon a Time in Wonderland"), "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" (er, "Sleepy Hollow"), and the classic fairy tales written by the Brothers Grimm (duh) and others ("Once Upon a Time," "Beauty and the Beast"). Which is to say nothing of the upcoming NBC series "Dracula" or the 3,000 "Wizard of Oz"-inspired TV pilots being developed as we speak.

So, here's my question: out of the works remaining in the canon of world literatures -- from "The Epic of Gilgamesh" to...whenever -- which would YOU adapt to series television if you could? What spin would you put on it in order to make it seem fresh and contemporary and not just a straight re-telling of a familiar tale?

(Or maybe you're someone who feels primetime TV has become too reliant on recycling stories, including ones that have become entrenched in the public consciousness. If so, feel free to discuss those views here, too.)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Tess" is EXACTLY what I had in mind, AMS! Of course, if you stayed entirely true to the story, viewers (and especially female ones) will stone you, lol. It could be a modern-day adaptation, but the "Tess" character would have to avoid the sad fate at the end.

IA.

• Members

Of course! If it were to be an open-ended tale, we'd have to avoid that ending or at least add in a surprise twist to keep the story moving.

Thinking more on Lord of the Flies (which I need to reread and watch both movies again, because it's been so long, and I love that story so much), I really don't see why it couldn't also be an open-ended series. Set it in the present day, but keep the set-up the same. I think the lack of female characters (and, thus, het ships) would be a disadvantage for some people, but they'd deal.

• Members

Khan, I also believe we both acknowledged in another thread some time ago that the characters from Bret Easton Ellis' series of novels and that whole world would be a goldmine for some type of adaptation. Not classic literary characters, of course, but a show on HBO would nonetheless be absolutely brilliant if handled correctly.

• Members

With Bret Easton Ellis' endorsement, if not his cooperation and direct involvement, I wouldn't mind a cable series that did just that, Bright Eyes. Specifically, I would set the series at Camden College in the early '80's, the period of time when diverse characters from all of Ellis' novels were there simultaneously, and where all their lives and adventures intersected.

Another possibility: George Eliot's "Silas Marner," only set in a futuristic, dystopian society. ;)

• Members

Frankly, I'm surprised no network has seized upon a chance to turn the "Arabian Nights" into a series. You have the framework (Scheherazade tells her stories for "1001 nights"), the hook or gimmick (she must keep Shahryar entertained -- OR SHE'LL DIE!!!), and a plethora of mini-arcs (each of her stories, lushly dramatized -- perhaps by a sort of repertory company of actors, "American Horror Story" style).

It could be part soap opera, part romantic drama (as the king and his new bride play that will-they-or-won't-they game), part adventure, part mystery (are the stories Scheherazade telling clues that point to some diabolical plot or conspiracy?)...it could have a little bit of everything.

Archived