Cover songs you prefer to the originals

DRW50

• Members

Ah I love Girls Aloud. There are two versions--the album mix and the vastly different single mix.

Often I don't think you could even call them covers. The music industry worked differently and several people could buy and record the same song at the same time. Also the UK and US would often get simultaneous releases by local singers. Dionne Warwick used to throw shade at Bacharach when a song she thought was for her would get released first by Dusty, or Jackie, or whoever--but many ofher big Bacharach hits (Always Something There to Remind Me for instance) were recorded over a year before by others.

I loveher cover of All The Man I Need--which was recorded earlier by Sister Sledge and Linda Clifford.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Eric, YOU liking a religious song? ;-P

You're very right about many of those songs hardly being "covers" back then. Her name is on the tip of my tongue, British, kind of looks like a beaver, but Dionne wrote about her disdain for this singer making one of her songs a hit in the UK when her own version got only a mediocre reception in the U.S.

Cilla Black!

• Members

I'm annoyed because my phone won't let me see what videos you all are posting.

I prefer Cleo Laine's covers of Bread's If to the original. John Williams' beautiful classical guitar playing on one, and then her Muppet Show performance.

AMS, you mentioned Prince. Jimmy Scott's cover of Nothing Compares 2U which Prince wrote for Sinead is so hauntingly beautiful, probably one of the greatest covers ever.

• Members

Ha, It wasn't originally a religious song, and I choose not to think of it that way ;) (Hey I've done it before--many of Donna Summer's later songs have an obvious religious reading to them but I just take them literally :P ).

Yes, that was just when Dionne was starting to get a slight reputation--though nothing like now. She also blamed Bacharach for offering What The World Needs Now first to her, her turning it down, and then Jackie DeShannon making it a hit. She claims the version Bacharach gave her was country tinged (like the Gene Pitney stuff and Raindrops Keep Falling that he was having hits with) and that he then used the "Dionne Warwick" formula when he tgave the song to Jackie DeShannon.

Speaking of--Jackie wrote and sang Bette Davis Eyes first, but I prefer the famous cover.

• Members

There's a YouTube vid from Solid Gold maybe of Dionne and Aretha's duet of Say a Little Prayer. Of course commenters always in search of "shade" pick it apart saying their little hug at the end is "fake ass" and that the ladies really hate each other blah blah but it's a very nice duet. There's also an amateur vid of Cissy singing it at a tribute for her niece.

I think the song Dionne references in that piece I read re: Cilla is Going Out of My Head. Diahann Carroll also did a nice cover of it.

ETA: My bad, it was Anyone Who Had a Heart. Diahann, you're still good though.

• Members

I have to put a vote in for British duo Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin's version of The Locomotion. It's probably the least well-known version of the song, but it may actually be the best version of all (although I love Kylie's version, too, and even Grand Funk Railroad's version is ridiculously catchy):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpQY0fA0cec

Archived