Cover songs you prefer to the originals

DRW50

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm resisting the urge to make one of those obnoxious sweeping statements, such as, "Whitney Houston PWNS this thread!", but she was pretty damn great at covers. The Greatest Love of All and Saving All My Love For You immediately come to mind, but I don't think I Will Always Love You or I'm Every Woman were necessarily "better" rather than more iconic.

• Members

There was an era in the '60s when covers were de rigeur. I came to know a few Beatles classics via Shirley Bassey. And as Dame Shirley would tell you, doing covers wasn't frowned upon, but embraced. Folks celebrated the unique spins on what would later become pop classics.

I won't bore you all with Gospel, but I love listening to and comparing/contrasting what legendary Gospel great soloists did with songs.

• Members

I remember Dionne Warwick complaining about Dusty covering her songs (apparently at the time she was furious about this).

I agree about the first two Whitney songs (I'm not a fan of the other two, especially the IEW cover - that song IS Chaka).

I like this more than the original.

• Members

YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. As much as I love the original version, Sir Elton's version is IT.

Well, except for this one. My dad is a HUGE Deadhead, and when I was in second grade, he used to play this a lot on a cassette he had of this concert, especially once he realized I loved it so much. It was broken several years ago, and after many years of trying to find it on YouTube, I finally did late last year. Made my night. The instrumental at the beginning wasn't intentional--it was apparently a teleprompter mistake--but it was the first version of the song I ever heard in my life and IMO, it absolutely MAKES the song. wub.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOgm7aQHj7A

• Members

I'm not usually a fan of remakes of certain recording artists I think sang to perfection (Sam Cooke) and others who I'm just odd about (Michael Jackson).  If I think an original was perfect then the remake has to add something or be different in a good way.  I have changed my tune a bit.

I do like Dolly Parton's version but I also like this one--maybe because I heard it first:

Not a t"rue" cover since Stevie Wonder is still performing it but an alternate version

Archived