GH:: Tony Geary Interview

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Same. As I've said, I don't see today's Luke to be in keeping with Gloria Monty and Douglas Marland's shared vision for the character, let alone the man he became once Laura entered the picture (and his heart). You couldn't sell me now on a redemption arc for Luke OR a reunion between him and Laura no matter how hard you tried. (In fact, you couldn't sell me even on a reunion between Laura and Scott -- talk about ships sailing. Laura would be better off finding a completely new love interest, as would Scotty.)

• Members

I love the Labine era, but I think Luke was more like the adult version of the original character during the early Guza/Riche years. Wounded, in love deeply with Laura, dangerous, loyal. Laura was also more interesting during those couple of early Guza years. Everyone else in town was not though lol, with the exception of that one great car bomb that Guza coasted on for a decade.

Labine did great work on the characters of the whole town, but not so much with Luke. But I would still take that era over most of the other runs on the show.

• Members

I thought she and Stefan had great chemistry. And she did have good chemistry with Tony and had a sweet chemistry with Kin in clips I have seen of them when they were younger. She also had a kind of interesting chemistry with Sonny during the Labine era.

What she usually brings to Laura is a lot if heart though, not heat.

• Members

I'm not seeing the big fuss here. To me, Tony reads as well-spoken, rational, and honest. I don't think he's disrespecting Claire at all, merely disagreeing with her vision of his character. My mind immediately went to Claire's Emmy tribute in the mid-'90s where Tony spoke of her work very respectfully in spite of what he may have been feeling personally in regards to Luke. I think he is more than entitled to his opinions as an actor who was cast in a role that has defined his career. When he dies, "Luke" will be in the first line of his obit, so it's only natural that he has strong opinions about the character that has given him a name, a career, and a lifestyle that he enjoys (and that I envy... his life in Amsterdam sounds pretty damn great). Whether you agree with Tony's vision of Luke or not, it's Tony, not any of us, who has to embody this character and have him permanently etched to our personas and his personal investment shouldn't be so easily dismissed as the pissy whims of a petulant actor.

• Members

I concede that I do not like the things I have read about his disdain for the Lucky recasts. My guess is that his strong opinions stem from the fact that he and his writing partner "created" Lucky and he probably disagreed with any diversion from his concept of his onscreen son.

Archived