The Classic TV Reruns Thread

All My Shadows

• Members

Here is a thread for random discussion of the various reruns of note that we've come across. Did you happen to see an episode of a dusty old western that you thought was weird? Or was there a bizarre episode of a recent sitcom that you caught in syndication? Whatever the case, feel free to discuss here! This is mostly for shows that don't already have their own threads. Often, someone will create a "The *random old show* Thread" and there will be discussion for a few days, then it fades away and someone comes along and creates a whole new thread. Here, we can just randomly discuss whatever it is we've randomly watched.

Anyway, I was inspired to create this thread by a bizarre episode of the original Hawaii Five-O that I watched this morning. In it, John Ritter plays a hippie/New Age-type guy who swindles Hawaiian tourists out of money to seek out new spiritual practices. In the teaser scene, he and his girlfriend happen upon Vic Morrow, and initially, the girlfriend tries to get some money out of him, but she's not skillful enough to dupe him. John tries instead, and, to my shock Vic Morrow starts feeling up on John and requesting to "be real nice to him." John is MORTIFIED, and he ends up hitting him over the head with a block of wood and steals his wallet. The rest of the episode concerns John and the girlfriend discovering thousands of dollars that Vic embezzled and the Five-O team trying to track down both Vic and John. Bizarrely, the gay angle is only ever mentioned by John in the first 15-20 minutes of the episode, when he and the girlfriend are trying to find where Vic keeps his money -- he makes a lot of comments on Vic being a freak, etc. Later towards the end, Vic says that he only wanted to "treat" John "nice." Just bizarre.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, I was thinking of Vic Morrow last night watching back-to-back bizarre episodes of MWC where Katey got me to thinking about her father Boris. Boris And Vic met similarly grisly ends. The first MWC episode was shot on location in England which seemed oddly extravagant. And the second was the introduction of shark-jumping late season sitcom moppet, Seven (I guess because the addition of Ted McGinley didn't take).

I'm surprised that they went there in that 5.0 episode you mentioned. Those were the days when homosexuality was still viewed as a mental illness. Coincidentally, I always thought Jack was kinda gay on Three's Company.

I meant to bring this up a few weeks ago so thanks for this thread, but I caught an episode of Roy and Dale's show with the most stereotypical and offensive depiction of Native Americans. The wigs, the tawny makeup, and the most stilted dialogue you ever did hear. You could see the wheels spinning in the actors' heads, struggling to drop all the right words.

Archived