TOLN Announces Season Finales of AMC/OLTL

• Members

It's great that Prospect Park undertook saving both shows, however, they are artistic types without any organization to back up their plans.

Here is what they should have done to begin with:

1) Not had both shows debut on 4/29/2013: I would have held up debuting both shows until both shows had filmed 2 full cycles and/or they had at least 50 to 60 episodes in the can.

2) I would have started out with 3 episodes per week and if episodes were being completed without exhausting all cast and crew then increased the output to 4 episodes per week down the line.

3) I wouldn't have suspended production from mid June through mid August. I'm guessing part of that was due to union issues, but I have a feeling it was also because they were switching out the writers. I would have had the new writers work out story for their 4th filming cycle and just filmed what the previous regime had written up during the 3rd filming cycle.

4) Once the union stuff was resolved, I would have gotten people back filming much earlier then mid-August. As it stands, All My Children could continue to air without a hiatus since they have episodes in the can through September 2nd and would be filming 2 to 3 weeks at that point.

5) I think having a non-soap people (i.e. Prospect Parks) being given free reign to change their scheduling, episode output, etc was a big no no. You can't jerk fans around especially soap fans... soap fans thrive on continual drama.

6) This pains me to say it, but I think they should have just focused on one of the soaps to bring back. Though All My Children has the name marquee, they were nowhere near ready to go back into production. They didn't have writers until three weeks or so before filming.. and they were having trouble getting cast members to come back.. as opposed to One Life to Live which had a set cast and writers over two months before they were set to film.

In conclusion, had All My Children been the only one cancelled first.. Prospect Park could have bought the rights and had more energy to focus on getting it off the ground. I think having to resurrect two soaps at the same time, trying an untried filming rotation schedule, and trying to come back from the dead online is enough to make anyone go crazy. Despite all these head-aches.. they have managed to succeed in bringing back decent quality.

I hope that all makes sense and I'm not rambling too much LOL

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like Anders, but in a pinch I'd prefer Griffin.

I thought they made a mistake not having Miranda actually transfer to Bramwell, which would've interwoven the mystery more and given Evelyn more to do.

• Members

I would have had Griffin in the same scene with kendall/Bianca.. to at least explain where he's been... that is just me.

I was expecting Miranda to transfer there.. thus increasing her interactions with Heather/Celia.. plus get a weird vibe about Evelyn.

• Members

Finally done with a week of standardized testing/no Internet and was looking forward to a nice quiet night of catching up on soaps & reading through all of your wonderfully insightful and funny posts on the AMC & OLTL threads. So of course PP had to do this tonight.

Anyway, most of the point have been made. I do think we knew this was coming from the surveys last week indicating that the model was changing. I'm bummed but not in freakout mode like when they did the 4 to 2 cut or even the labor dispute. Its becoming clear over this summer that they rushed (justifiably with the deadlines) into production and that these 40 eps were a sort of pilot program. I don't get any sense that they won't be back or that PP is anything less than committed to these brands. I wish they would be a bit more forthcoming about their challenges as it would buy them some goodwill. I do think the gala will be a logical finale break for OLTL so I'm happy about that. Hoping we get news of production resuming/start dates soon- sounds like the shows might do rotating seasons?

Didn't see what the crazies are saying on FB but on the whole but based on my limited reading so far, it seems like people are a little less the sky is falling this time around.

• Members

I agree that they should have been more forthcoming. We have a dates for the taping, but not for the airing. Due to OLTL only taping again after Labor Day, I doubt we will see any new episodes for a long time. I hope we won't have to wait until 2014.

Archived