Parallels Between the Soap World and Other Entertainment Worlds (Eg. Star Trek, Comics, etc..)

• Members

First of all, I am not sure were this belongs. It should probably go somewhere in Off Topic but I am not sure. Anyway, I have been curious to know what other "Worlds" are similar to the soap world weather it is the fans or the politics behind the medium.

Let me explain to you some of my observations but I need to tell you some back story:

My other passion (Which is not ANYWHERE close to my burning hot fiery passion I have for Soaps) are computer games!! For 11 years (6 years longer than me being in soaps) I have loved "Point and Click Adventure Games", mostly the ones from the 80s, so to answer anyone's question, no I am not some avid World of Warcraft Gaming freak. I probably would if I wasn't a soap fan but I can only take one "Fan Base" or "World" or whatever you want to call this at a time.

My favorite series is the "Monkey Island" Series created by LucasArts (Basically, the PGP of this genre). The person in my Avatar is the main character in all 5 games BTW (hopefully there will be more. Not sure since Disney bought Lucas Arts)

Anyway, I have always noticed that the politics behind these games are similar to the soap people:

1A) In the soap world we have people like Frons who are always trying to reinvent the wheel with no reason except for "Soaps are Dead" so they screw up the concepts of the shows like turning AMC into Sex and the City yet failing to listen to the fans.

1B) Point and Click Adventure Game fans are tired of the makers pushing 3D graphics. When the graphics go 3D you are forced to use the keyboard to control the games characters and examine things. The point of "Point and Click" is that you "Point" were you want to go or what you want to examine or who you want to talk to then "Click". The fans can't stand this mainly because it is a Pain to move around. Something that should take 5 second takes 5 minutes!!

There is definitely more to this but I don't want this to take up one page!! If anyone want me to elaborate I will.

So does anyone belong to another fan medium that can be just a crazy??

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I LOVED those adventure games, although I was much more of a Sierra fan than LucasArts (I know adventure fans would be one or the other...) Jane Jensen and her Gabriel Knight games especially--so glad she's doing games again.

But of course other fanbases can be just as crazy. American superhero comics in particular have a lot in common with soaps as has been mentioned here before. They are long running franchises that are traditionally owned by the publisher and fans will prefer different eras of different titles depending on who the writer and artist are, as well as who the editor is (the editor--many of the best being female for whatever reason--is the equivalent of the Exec Producer on soaps and many people don't realize how well an editor and writer's vision have to meshg to be a success.) There have been instances, like with soaps, where a popular writer returns to a title only for it not to work out. And then of course you get into all the issues soaps now face, like superhero fans now have expected that characters are never really dead, because they always come back, and the same issue as soaps face that they are losing audiences, but it's hard to get new readers with the complex backstories so many comics have (and often the backstories are re-written much to fans upset.)

• Members

I am guessing that sports would qualify as entertainment. And the big parallel between them and soap operas is the intense loyalty and "craziness" of the fans. I know that some soap fans are often (justifiably) lampooned for being OTT, but it is hypocritical and unfair that sports fans don't "enjoy" the same ridicule. Honestly, my experience is that the most diehard sports fans are far more zealous than the most diehard soap fans.

Archived