PP: AMC & OLTL to air twice weekly

• Members

They didn't have until March to get them on the air, they had to show that they were making progress on producing these shows which they were. They had a studio, they had writing staffs, a full production staff, etc. and the shows were officially in pre-production. That is all ABC could've asked for legally.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Whether it be 1 day or 2, 3, or 4, I'm happy just to have my OLTL to back and I'll continue to support the show and the actors and I'll watch however may days I can get and however long I get to watch my show. It's growing pains going into this new venture for PP and TOLN, so I'll grow with them and see where it leads.

• Members

I'm guessing that they were working 16 hours and were falling behind on episodes produced. I'm wondering why they couldn't have held the show until June/July (when both shows had two cycles of episodes filmed).. then they could have done the 4 times a week episodes... or maybe shown the shows 3 times a week then push up to 4 times a week if ratings/interest was strong.

Oh well.. Twice a week is better then none at all.

• Members

So here we are the day after the announcement. Is it a hangover we might be suffering? The shock wearing off? I remain hopeful for the success of the show. Maybe the actors guild and unions need to go over the contracts to ensure that the contracts/actors are protected and that safeguards are in place for them, legally speaking. The recurring cast deserve some of those same safeguards too.

Logistically, actors who commute (Bi-Coastal commuters) may have problems. Some fair compensation to them. The shooting schedule will need revising.

Thankfully the actors can do other projects during this extended summer hiatus similar to actors on Primetime shows who do other projects during their shows hiatuses, ie. film, Broadway Summer stock, short term projects, etc. Eric Nelsen tweeted that he was wrapping up his scenes with AMC I believe Wednesday and today, Friday he begins shooting a movie, so actors can work during this hiatus and that is so great. Debbi Morgan has her One Woman Show coming up in July so they can do other projects.

Maybe the actors can put together more Tribute To Pine Valley shows during the summer when people are out of school, looking for a great vacation spots, and some fine entertainment to enjoy their summer with. The Tribute shows would give more exposure and attract fans and newbies alike in promoting the show. Bring on a couple of the newbie teens to these Tribute shows too.

I remain hopeful that these adjustments will only make the show have better quality.

Who knows, maybe Y&R will write a storyline arc for Darnell Williams character, Sarge, for the summer. Folks over there would like to see their Sarge return for a short term arc. I don't know if Darnell is still "off contract recurring" or completely done with the show. They miss their Sarge from what I am getting from board sites all over.

So here we are the day after the announcement. Is it a hangover we might be suffering? The shock wearing off? I remain hopeful for the success of the show. Maybe the actors guild and unions need to go over the contracts to ensure that the contracts/actors are protected and that safeguards are in place for them, legally speaking. The recurring cast deserve some of those same safeguards too.

Logistically, actors who commute (Bi-Coastal commuters) may have problems. Some fair compensation to them. The shooting schedule will need revising.

Thankfully the actors can do other projects during this extended summer hiatus similar to actors on Primetime shows who do other projects during their shows hiatuses, ie. film, Broadway Summer stock, short term projects, etc. Eric Nelsen tweeted that he was wrapping up his scenes with AMC I believe Wednesday and today, Friday he begins shooting a movie, so actors can work during this hiatus and that is so great. Debbi Morgan has her One Woman Show coming up in July so they can do other projects.

Maybe the actors can put together more Tribute To Pine Valley shows during the summer when people are out of school, looking for a great vacation spots, and some fine entertainment to enjoy their summer with. The Tribute shows would give more exposure and attract fans and newbies alike in promoting the show. Bring on a couple of the newbie teens to these Tribute shows too.

I remain hopeful that these adjustments will only make the show have better quality.

Who knows, maybe Y&R will write a storyline arc for Darnell Williams character, Sarge, for the summer. Folks over there would like to see their Sarge return for a short term arc. I don't know if Darnell is still "off contract recurring" or completely done with the show. They miss their Sarge from what I am getting from board sites all over.

• Members

Yes starting smaller/slower would have definitely been better. Also, I realize not everyone loves this idea if they watch one show but i REALLY REALLY wish they had considered starting one show for 13 weeks then switching to the other (sort of like telenovelas) to lessen the problem of churning out 2 shows simultaneously while sharing space and budget. Then if viewership and finances allowed, they could have gone full time with both after 2 or more cycles. I'd rather have a more traditional soap experience of 4-5x a week with characters from one show and more normal pacing and then take a break and get into the other. Of course, after the model they started with, it would be a terrible idea to just yank one so that idea is no longer workable.

• Members

Question for you, Chris. Suppose PP had to shut down production, but because they did follow thru, can I assume they retain the rights? Not sure why they'd want to if its cosing money, but I just want a better understanding. Also, I hear that they are in arrears with payments to ABC. Do you know anything about that?

TIA!

• Members

Not fully believing in Prospect Park doesn't say I have anything against the people who work at either show. People are screaming and freaking out at the actors because there is no direct way to contact Prospect Park that verifies a person has heard you. If you send an email you get an automated response. Sending a tweet or posting on Facebook when it may never be read is frustrating. Going to an actor who reads the comments and perhaps is able to go to the producers and say look my fans are freaking out about this change and aren't happy. If some fans were killing the messenger and being out of line with any actor I can understand being upset though.

If AMC and OLTL will only have 110 episodes so be it, I just hope if that is the case that the people who are writing and producing the show know this and take it in account with the stories. If we end up with what happened with Port Charles I am going to be angry and rightfully so. And if that does happen the actors should know that while we were glad we got additional episodes we felt screwed over yet again.

• Members

I wasn't saying that I would regret that the shows happened at all if they ended up with cliffhangers just that it would anger me. I don't regret watching AMC even if it ended with the shooting if there had never been another episode again.

I wasn't touching the bigger picture about the job loss situation. And saying I don't trust TPTB doesn't mean I won't watch the shows or support them.

• Members

It sounds like Cady has calmed down...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I feel your frustration and disappointment, I really do. But I also know the quality of the work coming. such powerful stuff. I hope u stay.</p>&mdash; Cady McClain(@realcadymcclain) <a href="
17, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Members

Correct. Like I said part is due to viewing habits but id bet the majority of the reason for this change is their production schedule wasnt giving them enough episodes in the can that they needed to do 168 episodes of each soap. This is about finding the model that works best for them.

Now I hope the "Fans" calling her names etc will do the same

• Members

I agree. But I also feel like them splitting like this is to try to get people to watch both shows, and that's basically what splitting them in 13 week cycles would be too. Of course you dont have to watch both but it seems like they are unhappy with that and trying to demand people to do that. It is annoying.

They are web soaps that air online and your able to watch them anytime, except their production company doesn't like that option apparently and you need to watch them daily, but now each one isn't on daily so they are not daytime soaps but none of that matters. The thing is they are acting like they are still on abc just with people saying [&#33;@#&#036;%^&amp;*] and showing the slightest bit more skin. They are still tired, and dated. There's nothing new and exciting. Not there's a problem with that, I like cliched soap opera a lot - but for all the hype of it being new and edgy it's failed to be anything. These shows could seriously air at noon on abc and fit right in as they never left. If that's good or bad is up to the individual I suppose, but now that they are basically weekly shows, split into two airings, I would like to see them try to take one a cable series feel, tone and pace as opposed to a daytime one.

Archived